Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a ballpark figure for a 396 with cast iron heads? I'm pullimg the motor outta my ride for the winter paint job and need to get an engine stand. Any recommendations, since I see they are rated by weights? I hate to spend a big buncha bucks just for a stand to use for a few months, but I don't wanna be picking that rat up off the floor either.
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I think its around 650 for a big block,550 for a small block...

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Most engine stands I've seen (for the hobbyist anyway) will handle 1000 lbs and up. I've got a 4-wheel breakdown stand that I've had for 15 years or so and it's held my big block twice for extended periods of time with no problems. Engine was complete less carb, dist, exhaust, and pulleys.

I can't find the weights of each, but looking at some performance factors I have for GM in 67, in a given vehicle and taking the transmission into account as well, the vehicle with a 396 (SS model) weighs from 260 to 303 lbs more than the same vehicle (Malibu) with a 327 with the differences being between transmissions. Some of that weight is probably due to differences in options between the standard SS and a Malibu. I'd say 200 to 250 lbs difference given the same accessories.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Definitly 600+ pounds. I would reccomend a stand with the 4 wheel set up. You'll be happy with the extra stability. The first time I tried rolling my BB on a 3 wheeler across the garage and hit a crack I thought for sure I was going to be picking it up off the floor! Or OUT of the floor!

By the way it won't go to waist after your done... Your friends will be happy to store it for you in their garage!

FastSS396Man

------------------
Brian

69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice pearl.

[This message has been edited by fastss396man (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just received a crate 454 and the weight ticket said 435 lbs. I'm a weight lifter and just looking at it, that seems about right.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
It's right around 670 lbs with cast iron intake and heads. Get a 4 wheeler for sure. I bought a 4 wheeler 10 years ago thinking I was splurging by buying an engine stand. I'm now on my 4th rebuild (3rd big block) with this stand. Can't live without it now!! Mike, M22

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - as usual, don't scrimp on tools!
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.