Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help. Will the VIN be stamped on the area right where the engine code is?? I have a 70 SS Chevelle 396 that My buddy bout 12 years ago and I recently aquired it. The area where the engine code is behind the alternator shows a T0505CTX. I belive this to be correct for this body car and a 350HP 396 produced on May 5th. Where else would the vin be stamed to verify the original engine. it's not on this pad....
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The only other area where you might find the VIN would be on the verticle boss next to the oil filter mounting. Sometimes they are hard to see but if you get a good light and some cleaner on a rag you should be able to find it. I do know this to be the location for some 69's, I'm not 100% sure for 70. Good luck ! Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Van Nuys and Baltimore Plants seem to have the VIN# stamped down by the oil filter more often then the other plants.This is from what I have observed for 1970 Chevelles.And they will almost always be on early produced cars in the first few months.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just to confirm but my buddies 70 SS has the number stamped by the oil filter pad and it does match the VIN. The number on the engine pad was gone when the engine was decked but this was used to confirm the correctness of the engine. As a matter of fact, my recollection is I learned about this on this board. Mine is a Kansas car but one of these days I am going to have to get down there and see if it is also stamped. Fortunately my pad# is still visible...barely but visible

Da Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My Tonawanda built 396 (402) engine that sits in my KC Leeds plant built 70 SS does not have the VIN on the front pad. T1002 CTX is all that is there. I have checked near the oil filter pad and there seems to be some sort of numbering but that area is a very rough cast. I have evidence (& confidence since my PoP has the CTX id) that the engine is original. Block casting, heads, intake, etc., and engine build dateis all within a few months to weeks of actual vehicle production.

[This message has been edited by Super70 (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Both of my 70 Chevelle SS' were built in Van Nuys, one an L34 396 and the other an LS5 454, and both have the VIN stamped down by the oil filter. It is very hard to see those numbers.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I can attest to the fact that some big-block cars did not come with a VIN stamp on the pad near the alternator. My '71 GMC Sprint 454 has the original engine and "T0424CPD" stamped on the pad. The exact same code appears on the original Protect-O-Plate. But there is no VIN stamp on it. This is a Van Nuys car.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.