Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading several owner's comments over the last few weeks, i am beginning to wonder about engine temp. my 70 ss396 has been professionally rebuilt and dyno'd at about 412hp. i have a high flow waterpump and 4 core radiator. what i think to be a reliable aftermarket temp gauge with bourdon tube reads about 209 under normal driving conditions, but can creep up to 230-235 with a/c on at idle or while crusing. it has a 180 degree thermostat, std fan shroud. several of you feel that 230 is too hot for an engine? most of today's vehicles with electric cooling fans don't even kick on until 225 degrees. so, am i running this engine too hot and need to be concerned? i feel like it's not too hot until it reaches 250+.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man I got the same problems. I have a new 454, 4 core radiator, fan shroud and stock water pump with a flex fan. The car can reach 210 during normal stop and go trafic. I have'nt been in a trafic jam yet so I'm crossing my fingers. What is to hot. And do big blocks run hotter than small?

------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.