Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 convertable and the previous owner installed a 350. A good friend of mine just GAVE me a 454. The block number is 14015445 and the date on it is 1978. Since the car originally had a 396, I would just like to know: Is this a good engine to rebuild for my car or is this a bad idea? The 350 is not running well and I would really like to have a big block.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I've got the same block. It says in several cross-reference journals that it is a 4-bolt main, but mine is a two-bolt as are all I've looked at. If it is two-bolt, they're supposed to be good to about 600 horses and 6500 RPM, so unless you're gonna boost it or send it into the twilight zone above 650 revs, she oughta work. Be sure you stud the mains, though. Good luck.
By the way, the first money you spend on it should be magnaflux and/or sonic checks. It sure pisses you off when you find out the block is scrap after it's been bored, decked, etc. FWIW

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Now I am exited to get started. I will have the block magnafluxed. Unfortunately for me I have a budget to work with but I plan to use most of the original parts and replace the rings, cam, intake, carb and exhaust. Others are telling me to replace the heads. If you have time could you comment on what kind of heads or what you would do with these stock heads? Thanks again!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Your truck heads are known as 'peanut port' heads. These are great for pulling out stumps as long as you don't rev past 4000. As a minimum find some '71-74 oval ports ( 049 & 781's are favorites) and install some 1.88/2.19 valves. The sky's the limit when it comes to the aftermarket units.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.