Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 SS. Original 396, 360HP. Today while out running really well, it just quit and coasted to a stop. There was no loss in oil pressure prior to the problem, and temp.
gauge didn't rise at all.(Fuel tank is 1/2 full) It restarted, but it did this several times (4-5) in the 6 miles home. Seemed to run ok while it was running. Does this sound like the fuel pump? How do you diagnose a bad fuel pump.

Or maybe something in the ignition.

Looking for help. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Gerald

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Two things come to mind. It coul dbe the fuel line, look for sharp bends of over 90 degree's or a hose that is collapsing. It could also be the ignition switch, I had a 2 year old 1979 Chevy van that would up and quit while cruising down the highway like you describe. Sometimes several times in one day and then ok for a week or two. Two different Chevy dealers looked at everything and found nothing. This went on for months untill one day it died within 2 blocks of a Chevy Dealer. Service manager said he did not have anyone to look at but that he would check the ignition switch, maybe its that. 5 minutes later he came and showed me a mellted piece of plastic.

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Have you checked/replaced your fuel filter recently? I had a similar problem that was caused be a partially blocked filter. You could also have water in your tank. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and using a clear glass jar, crank the engine a couple of times with the distributor disconnected so that it won't start, pump some gas into the jar and check for water or dirt from the tank. Hope its of some help.
Tino

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,010 Posts
Last time I had one like this it was one of those Uni-points things going bad. Just like shutting off the key.

Tom

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sounds like dirty fuel filter.check it, but if clogged, don't take it out "just to make it home". Where the orig. dirt came from, there is more,if you do run it, then you need a carb rebuild.
Testing the fuel pump is as Tino described above (BE CAREFUL WITH GAS) . If still in doubt connect a pressure gauge to the line and check the pressure.
Carry an extra sparkplug,then when it quits (sounds like it happens when hot ?), pull one wire install the extra plug and check for spark while hot.
Also check for melted wire(s).
Did you change anything shortly before this problem ?? Tune up ? Oil change ?? Stereo?? If so, check what you moved/touched/changed.

------------------

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like it could also be vapor lock. If you have steel lines running close to your engine, the heat builds up in the lines themselves and causes this to happen, especially around sharp bends. Since it only seems to happen when the car is hot, this would be my best guess as to what the culprit is. Suspect this only after you've checked your fuel filter.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Definitely sounds like ignition-1st check for spark. If you have no fire, then start looking there. Could be loose wire, bad capacitor, bad coil? Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really do appreciate the help.

Installed an HEI early this weekend, and it ran great thereafter. Actually, I had been planning to do this. I guess it turned out to be sooner rather than later.

Thanks again,

gerald

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.