Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 72 BB ss chevelle remains running even though the ignition key is tuned off. Also the generator light remains on when the key is off. Bad ignition switch or something else?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Probably alternator/regulator related.
Do you have an MSD box?
Still have the stock style alternator with external regulator?
What is the voltage out of the alternator with the car running?
One test you can try is to remove the GEN lamp. See if the car shuts off with that bulb removed.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The original set-up used an external regulator. If you have an internally regulated alternator someone changed your alternator connector. An externally regulated alternator has connector terminals that go ( I I ) while an internally regulated alternator has terminals that go ( - - ). Take a look at the second picture in the attached link and it shows the terminals for an internal unit.
The idiot light may be feeding the ignition. One of it’s leads ties to the alternator/regulator while the other ties to the same wire on the ignition switch that feeds the coil. That’s the reason I suggested removing the lamp.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have an external regulator. (just got the car 1 week ago haven't dealt with external regulators in a long time) So where is the regulator located?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Hiding below and behind the round filter canister on the left side of the radiator. Probably have to move that canister to get at it.
If you need one a suggestion is to get a solid state unit. Usually cheaper anyway. Wells (part number VR715) from Autozone for around $11.00. Disconnect the battery before installing a solid state regulator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting at the bulb for the generator light is proving to be a pain, there any way I can test the regulator that I can prove that is my problem. By the way the the charging system at the battery is only putting out 13volts. I also can make the generator light dim when I switch the wiper switch on when I turn the ignition switch off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joh replace the voltage regulator with the wells unit. The engine still will not turn off with the key. Also the gen light stays on with the ignition off until I turn the wiper switch on then off the gen light then goes off. Ignition switch maybe?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys, I solved my ignition not tunring the motor off. It was they say self inflicted. I removed some aftermarket (cheap) gauges and they used one of the screws that holds the ignition switch to the column. When I removed it I forgot to tighten the screw, thus the ign would not shut the engine down.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah give that a try. They are available from the auto parts store though I haven't seen one go bad like that unless the rod moving it is acting up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts