Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 64 327 if the block has been decked is there a vin stamp any where else? Of course it could be the vett motor?I am sure this has been asked before so Thanks now for your help. Gary:yes:

·
Administrator
17,211 Posts
The partial VIN was stamped on the HP engines on the same pad as the engine id in '64.
Not all engines in '64 got a partial VIN.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that on the block in front of the right head? If so its supposedly been deck and the #s are gone. I was told it could be on bell housing or side of block by oil filter. Correct or not? Thanks G

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Is that on the block in front of the right head? If so its supposedly been deck and the #s are gone. I was told it could be on bell housing or side of block by oil filter. Correct or not? Thanks G
There weren't any smallblocks in 1964 Chevelles that were stamped with partial VINs. Corvettes are a different story, but the first smallblocks to be stamped with partial VINs in Chevelles were the L79s in 1965 and 1967. All smallblocks got stamped starting in 1968. Smallblocks were always stamped on the deck pad. Stamps by the oil filter is a big block thing on some 69s and 70s.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Smallblocks were always stamped on the deck pad.
I know we are talking about a 1964 engine, but the VIN was not ALWAYS stamped on the deck of the block. The exceptions occurred in 1969 and 1970. This had to do with the change of the alternator location from 1968 to 1969.

During at least part of that year (1969), depending on the plant, some were stamped down by the oil filter. This includes at least some Atlanta and Kansas City big block Chevelles, plus many V8 Camaros. It did also happen into at least early 1970 at some assembly plants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts