Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
The oil pan needs to be changed and the engine itself is taller than a standard BBC. You might have to change the intake also or hood, depends what you want. For that kind of cash I bet one of the builders here can get you that power level at half the cost and headaches of fitment.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What are the differences between the 572 and the 502 size, wise.

There is a guy around here with a red '70 and he has a 502 that just fits like a glove, with no real modifications

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
These are the same blocks, just different displacement. There shouldn't be any real external differnces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I recieved one yes and one no if this would fit or not. I know about the vacuum and also the size of the brake booster (I have power brakes and will probably go with either a smaller booster with vacuum canister or a hydro-boost sytem-so that is another question which would be better?). What I would like is to keep my stock hood (ss) and want to be 100% sure I will have clearance on the top. It is my understanding that the 572 is 1/2" taller but the distance is measured at a 45 degree angle so overall height only increases 1/4". Anymore thoughts on this gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
What are the differences between the 572 and the 502 size, wise.

There is a guy around here with a red '70 and he has a 502 that just fits like a glove, with no real modifications
The 572 is a tall block, the 502 is standard deck. The tall block is .400" taller from crank to cam and requires specific intakes among a few other parts over the rest of BBC. The outer dimensions of a 502 are the same as a 454.

To the OP, you might have fitment issues using a stock flat hood.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
the 70-72 Chevelles have the cowl induction hoods that add 2.5" height over the flat hoods. So of that guy that you heard about with the 70 Chevelle has a factory type cowl hood, and you have a factory hood on your 66, then right off the bat you'll have atleast 2" less hood clearence with your car than he has with his.

I stuffed a tall deck block underneath the factory cowl hood in my 70 Chevelle, and it just barely clears with a 3.5" tall filter element (which is really the bare minimum of what you need for a big inch motor) and that's also with the use of a custom made air clearner assembly with a 2" drop base. So think before you leap into this.

I also fully agree that you should just go to either "Wolfplace" (Mike Lewis of Lewis Racing Engines) for a much better engine than a crate motor (trust me on this, because I happen to be a crate engine customer...never again :noway:) or if you want a 650 HP pump gad 505 CID engine for a lot less than that ZZ572 will cost you, then go to "Vortecpro".

Both these guys have nothing but satisfied customers here on this board, and will build you an engine that will make that ZZ572 engine look like a piece of garbage by comparison. No joke.

And BTW, Mike Lewis ("Wolfplace" on here) is located right in your home state......

http://www.lewisracingengines.com/links.html

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Call Mike and make it happen. Just don't go for an unannounced visit, he has a security system that's second to none :D:D:D
The ZZ572 isn't much of an engine, IMHO. Now with a bit of tweaking, I'm sure it can make the power expected of an engine of that size, but it sure doesn't do it out of the box. On most 540's, you have to pull a plug wire to make as much power as GM's piece :D. It's probably fine for a plug and play, but they sure should have stuck with a 540 or so to avoid tall deck associated problems.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
. It's probably fine for a plug and play, but they sure should have stuck with a 540 or so to avoid tall deck associated problems.
Yeah, but there are even other "plug & play" engines that make considerably more power than those engines do.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am thinking you will need custom headers as well for a 572 in a 66 because of the added width and height of the block. The 540 engine is based on the standard 9.8 deck height block and can make loads of power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts