Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine was rebuilt 5 years ago and I have not been priming/turning it over regularly. I'm hooking up the final components; gas tank, radiator, water pump and would like to fire it up in a couple of weeks. Are there certain problems I'm gonna have because it's sat there for years? I've read some of the recommendations for priming, using marvel in the plug holes, etc.... What other things should I be on top of? Are my gaskets going to be a problem.
Thanks - Duff.....

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
IF (big IF) it was rebuilt properly to begin with;
IF the cylinders and bearing journals, etc. haven't rusted;
IF you prime the oiling system before cranking;
IF you have the ignition timing close to where it needs to be;
IF you have the carb adjusted close to where it needs to be, and primed with fuel;
IF you have the lifter preload/lash where it needs to be; then

You should be fine. Fire it up, break in the cam.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
IF (big IF) it was rebuilt properly to begin with;
IF the cylinders and bearing journals, etc. haven't rusted;
IF you prime the oiling system before cranking;
IF you have the ignition timing close to where it needs to be;
IF you have the carb adjusted close to where it needs to be;
IF you have the lifter preload/lash where it needs to be, then

You should be fine. Fire it up, break in the cam.
You forgot If you drink alot of beer it might fire up..:D:beers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'am not a engine expert and I'm not sure what motor your dealing with but it might pay to pull the intake and install some cam lube. Might just be me being paroniod cause I wiped out a cam before. Good luck, hope all is well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
396 just freshened up a little; was previously 30 over with no more "over" added. Sounds like I need to prime & lube everything good.... Will rust be an issue once I prime/lube everything and start up? It will burn off won't it???? The rust that is??? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Put a little oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a bit. Then try to slowly turn the engine over by hand. This will help break loose the rings, coat the cylinder walls, and aid in sealing the rings for initial start-up compression. Very good idea to prime the engine as mentioned.

HTH,
Durand

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
396 just freshened up a little; was previously 30 over with no more "over" added. Sounds like I need to prime & lube everything good.... Will rust be an issue once I prime/lube everything and start up? It will burn off won't it???? The rust that is??? Thanks...
Rust is abrasive. How much abrasive matter do you want in your engine?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree Schurkey, BUT how will I know how much rust is inside?? I'd prefer none, but want to take as many precautions as possible. What are you suggesting??????

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I agree Schurkey, BUT how will I know how much rust is inside?? I'd prefer none, but want to take as many precautions as possible. What are you suggesting??????
Take it apart and inspect it is the only 100% way that you will know its ready to fire up with out scouring up the pistons and walls.:yes:

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I would A) get a small light to feed into the spark plug holes, LOOK at the cylinder walls--particularly of the cylinders that had either of the valves open; and if that's OK, then move to B) turn the engine with a long breaker bar, and feel for roughness. Depending on how "tight" the engine is, the torque required to turn it could vary considerably--but--if it's ROUGH, you've likely got rusted cylinder walls.

If you SEE rust, or if the long block turns over roughly, the heads come off and you're into exploratory surgery.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Right or wrong, on an engine that's sat I take a squeeze bottle with some MMO and spray thru the plug holes to get the far cylinder wall. At least that way the entire ring has been lubricated. Good Luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts