Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sorry to have to ask this, but I'm in the dark totally. What do I need to look out for, replace, or otherwise definitely do when I rebuild the 350 for my 72?
It's all torn down to the bare block, repainted. The cylinders are all smooth, and look pretty good. The pistons and rods seem decent, too, as well as the crank. All the bearing surfaces seem very smooth and unscathed. I want to send it to the machine shop to have it looked over, but what do I need looked over exactly? This is my first experience with anything more compilcated than changing the oil, so I petty well have little idea as to what I'm doing. I got a book titled "Haynes Chevrolet engine overhaul manual," and have been reading up on it. i would like to try and avoid and costly rookie mistakes it possible. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What do you intend to use it for?
Have the shop mic the cylinders, main & rod journals and compare to specs for new engine. If cylinders are ok, a good hone and new rings. Probably polish the crank and recondition the rods. Head work - valve guides or knurl and reseat valves.

------------------

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hot tank - $55
Magnaflux - $58
Polish crank $28
Cam bearings - $48
Freeze plugs - $1 ea
Check rods - resize if needed - keep bolts in place - $20 ea.
Hone cylinders - $50
Standard head work - guides, seats, valves - $190 pr.
Rings
Gaskets & seals
Timing gear set
Oil pump

A good machine shop will take the parts and inspect them after magnaflux and let you know whats salvagable - most have reconditioned stuff around if you need it.

I'm doing my first complete rebuild and have done a bit of homework. I'm goiing with new hi-po parts so I'm not having much except for the block looked at. I am having the block align-bored, decked and taken 30 over, but you don't need to do that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey E,
Get your hands on this book; "Rebuilding your Small-block Chevy" by David Vizard. It's about $15 at most book stores or from Amazon. Even if you don't do any of the work yourself, it'll save you a bunch of headaches. mgg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.