Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 396 in my El Camino. It currently has a 350 in it. One of the reasons I want to install the 396 is that The El Camino I have is a Super Sport.

I'm looking for a good used 396 to replace the 350 currently in the E.C. The E.C. also has a th350 tranny that I would like to use in combination with the 396.

What is a good price on a used 396?

Since I'm not even a novice as far as engines go, how do I go about having the engine checked?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
What year is your El Camino? If it is a '71 or '72 it could have come with a 350 engine even in a Super Sport. If your car was originally a 396 car it would not have come with a TH350 transmission.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 1968.

It originally came with a powerglide/396 combo.

It has a 350/th350 combo now.

I made contact with a private party that is selling a rebuilt 396, 12:1 compression for $1,000. The engine comes with hedders, intake, oil pan, original intake (1967 date code), distributor, pulleys, damper.

Is this a good price, and can I use pump gas with that compression?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
its a 1968.

It originally came with a powerglide/396 combo.

It has a 350/th350 combo now.

I made contact with a private party that is selling a rebuilt 396, 12:1 compression for $1,000. The engine comes with hedders, intake, oil pan, original intake (1967 date code), distributor, pulleys, damper.

Is this a good price, and can I use pump gas with that compression?
No good for a street car , stick to 10.1 compression or lower . Keep an eye on craigslist!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.