Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car out for one more ride before putting in the garage for the winter. The problems begin.

The car shut off while I was driving. Went to restart it up but the engine was turning over very quickly. Flatbeded it home. Jump it and it start it up. However the first crank sounded like something hit something and jumped the starter back. When it did start the idle was a little higher then normal. It died again but this time a clank sound from the top half of the engine and a strong fuel smell. Its cranking fairly quicker then normal.

I am assuming the timing chain - What other possibilities do you guys think it may be. Also do you think the clank sound was a valve hitting a piston?

I have only had the car for about a month. Its a 396 TH400.

Whats the best way to trouble shoot this without removing the timing cover.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sounds like a timing chain to me. You could pull the heads and see if the valves are damaged. I'd guess they are. Pulling the timing chain means pulling the pan which means pulling the engine. That's rotten luck

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rich, you didn't say how many miles are on the engine or how well it ran once started. To assume a timing chain may be premature. If the timing chain has jumped the engine won' run at all or will only have enough power to run in neutral, if it only jumped a tooth. If you know the correct procdure to check your timing check it. The car doesn't need to run to get a timing reading. you can get a reading by just turning it over. Have a buddy help. If the timing is substancially off it could be the chain. Then take a compression test to confirm. Good luck , sounds like you are going to need it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, good luck... those noises are never good. I wouldn't turn it over any more than necessary before the problem is found! No need to tear up any more parts if you can help it. First thing I'd check is for a bent pushrod or broken rocker arm('cause it's easy & you'll eventually need to know anyway). Also inspect valve springs/retainers. Then maybe check your timing by rolling it up to TDC on the balancer and pulling your dist cap. Your rotor should be either pointing at #1 plug wire or 180* away at #6. If not, then you might have jumped a tooth. Next, try turning it over with the dist. cap off. If the rotor doesn't turn, then you've broke a cam.
Your diagnosis of a top end problem seems appropriate given your description of it turning over faster than normal. You must be thinking no compression, huh? Man, been there...keep your fingers crossed that damage is minimal.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 11-19-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thks for the responses.

The car has 55,000 orig miles on it. Nothing has been changed. It is all original. At this point I am considering pulling the whole block out and doing a rebuild. The strange thing is that when I did get it started the second time, before it died again, I noticed more condensation smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
rich...
i had a weird experience once that i had never heard of before or since so here goes...
went to start 1969 327 and it ran real rough, noisey... i assumed that i had jumped time but beofre i went to the trouble to pull the timing cover (i was a kid and on vaction with my family in key west) i pulled the rocker covers...what i found was that one of the studs had a very sharp notch worn into it the exact dimension of the thickness of the stamped rockers...the rocker was jammed into this slot and would not move, holding the valve open... replaced the stud and pushrod ..fortunately the valve was ok ...covers back on and all was fine...has anyone else ever seen this situation???

truly the damndest thing I have ever seen!!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Gold Founding Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the timing cover today - surprise the timing gear was shot - all the nylon coating was completly gone.

Well considering I heard the valve hit the piston, will pull the heads get a valve job anyway. Will also check for piston damage.

Ohhhh the trials and tribulations of owning an old car. I forgot all about this annoying stuff. But to be honest I also forgot how much fun it is taking it apart and how much more fun it is putting it back together.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442

·
Registered
622 Posts
A scientific fact: 97% of the time, plastic sucks!

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.