Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my 383 a few months ago, but when i did it, i didnt realize that the paint i used needed to be heat cured within 72 hours. Well the engine is incomplete, on a stand, so i couldnt really run it, to heat it up and cure it. So now the paint if rubbing off.
I want to repaint it with good quality stuff. Do i need a coat of primer? Who makes a good high heat paint that wont rub off, and will last a while? Are ther any special tricks to doin this, besides making sure to mask everything off?

ok, one more thing. right now it's black. It looks really badass on the stand. BUT, when it goes in the car, the whole engine bay is black too. I kinda want it to stand out in there, so i'm thinking about a red color. (Like TonyR's new motor). What do you guys think?

-Matt

------------------
TC Member #1434
1971 Malibu 350/TH350 (383/200-4R/12bolt in the works)
"It's not how much blood and sweat it took to get there, it's whether or not you have what it takes to finish it."
CAR
ENGINE (in car)
NEW 383(soon to be in car)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used por-15 chev orange and sprayed it on, the car wasn't started for over a year after I painted It, and it looks great, real tough stuff and well worth it, this stuff bonds well, will never use anything else, my 2 cents

------------------
www.homestead.com/prostreet69/1969resto.html

·
Banned
486 Posts
Matt, I would worry to much about what color you paint it, By the time you get your aluminum heads on and the water pump, pulleys, alternator, headers and all the other stuff on about the only painted part of the engine you can see is right below the intake in front. I painted my last engine red but not much of it shows. I have painted engines before that never got heat cured for months and never had a problem. Did you wipe the block down real good with some sort of wax and grease remover? Dave

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've used Plasti Coat engine paints for years with excellent results and some haven't been fired for over 10 years since painted and still did fine. They've got an engine primer also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Matt,

We used Krylon primer and paint on my block.

Two coats of primer.

IMHO, black paint on the block looks bad a$$. It makes it look like a "racing" motor. However, for water and oil leaks, it makes it a little harder to spot.

I had planned going with black paint.

But, we've decided that because it is maily for show, we chosed Chevy orange. It matches the car as well.

My previous 468 BB was red. It clashed against my Hugger orange chevelle a little. But it still looked nice.

Here are some pics:

Primer (Krylon)

Orange block

Red block

If you decide to go with Krylon, use their Krylon Industrial line. I'm sure there are other good brands as well.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.