Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGINE MOUNTS ON 307

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gkopeck 
#1 ·
The new motor mount on my 69 Conv. with a 307
just broke. I replaced them 6,000 miles ago
when I rebuilt my motor. Question is, are there better mounts out there than OEM? I don't hot rod. I have kept the car all stock.
No mods for speed. Its just a cruiser and NEVER ON A TRAILER!!!!!

#2 ·
What mount broke? I'm guessing it's the rubberized one that bolts to the left side of the engine. Did you have any trouble getting the rubber mount aligned with the steel frame mount so the bolt would go through? There are two heights for the rubber mount, short for the older cars and tall for the newer ones. I think the dividing line is '67 but I'm not sure. Both height mounts are available with the safety tab.

There are still crooks selling the old design engine mounts, the style GM had the big recall on. They are a disaster waiting to happen. You can identify them by the lack of a safety tab on the bottom side, and the fact that they cost about $7.00. They are most prone to fail when the vehicle turns left under power. When that happened in '65 or '66, the engine lifted and tilted to the right, tore the vacuum hose off the brake booster and pulled the throttle rod OPEN. Result: Full throttle and (almost)no brakes. (that may be why GM went to cable throttles!)

Try to find made-in-America mounts with the safety tab. Best ones are the new polyurethane units.

#3 ·
Yes it was the motor mount on the left side of the engine. I bought them from NAPA. They were original GM parts. I had no trouble mounting them, went right in.
The same original mount was broke when I removed the Engine. I think I will try Summit Racing and see if they have the poly--- mounts you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.