Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this sometime ago but didn't get what I was looking for. Now I have more info. Car is a 1970 chevelle with a 307. I am looking for 350 engine mounts that bolt to the frame. From what i have read these mounts are different from one another although others on this site have told me different. Again, I am looking for the frame part of the mount and NOT the engine rubber mount. If anyone has a year one catalog look on page 191 and at the top left of page you will see what I'm talking about. Year One only offers the RH mount for the 350. Anyone know who makes a repo for the LH or where I can get one. Hope this solves all the confusion this time.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Your current configuation should already be enough! A 307 block is the same as a 350 block. I don't know why you would have to do anything different. The only thing I know of is that there are two different rubber motor mounts that look alike. One has 5-1/2" between the mounting flanges across the through bolt and the other is only 5-1/4". Watch-out 'cause in my experience the parts store will give you the 5-1/4" mount, whereas my Chevelle requires the 5-1/2".

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Original Parts Group list the frame brackets, GM right side only,
just like Year One but also list a reproduction PAIR for 68/72 models. Part #97ch001 $79.95. They don't specify engines but it probably is for 350. The 307 used the same rubber engine side mounts as the 327 and 283. I will also have to change my frame brackets when I replace my 66 327 mounts. good luck.

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 06-17-99).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
I hope I just didn't order the wrong part. I got the call that my motor mounts had arrived at the parts store. I asked for mounts for a '67 Chevelle. We're putting a 350 in it. What do I need? Will the stock parts work?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
TH: I hope someone who has done a 350 swap replies for you.The problem I had was in 1966 the mounts did not have safety lips. When I got the new replacement mounts with the safety lips they will not fit the original frame brackets. The instructions gave new bracket # to be used for 1964-1967 chevelle, but that was for a 283-307-327.The brackets everyone lists for 350 start with 1968 model.You will know right away if they will fit by sitting the new mount on the bracket and see if the bolt hole lines up.

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 06-17-99).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm being cautiously hopeful here. I got the mounts home and lined them up with the frame brackets and they look just fine. I compared them to the old rubber mounts and the new ones do not have the little ears running down the bottom portion of the mount (safety lip?). This also figures 'cause the previous owner told me he had replaced them and been given the wrong mount and he had to cut it on one side to make it fit, so I think I'm out of the woods on this one. If anyone knows different let me know.

Sorry for appropriating this thread for my own purposes.

I'd be interested to know how the 307 and 350 frame brackets are different. I was under the impression they were the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to add that my current rubber mounts are energy suspension poly mounts part #3.1114G Don't know if there are different from side to side as stated in first reply. I have only replaced the driver's side so far because that is the one that broke on me.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I looked up the GM part numbers to the parts in question. The parts manual lists different part numbers for the 350 vs the 307 for 70 Chevelle. The part numbers for 69-72 Chevelle 350 Bracket Assy are 3980711 LH and 3980712 RH. For 69-70 307, part numbers are 3980707 LH and 3980708 RH. The part numbers are different but I don't know what the actual physical difference exists. The engine mounts also have different part numbers. As far as I know the ones you need may still be available from GM. Just go to your local GM parts department and check it out. Good Luck.
P.S. LH bracket is available at KMB warehouse, 1-800-475-1227.

[This message has been edited by Woj (edited 06-19-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
take the picture to NAPA and let them go through their big "engine mount" catalog, i spent an hour there but matched it up perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.