Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the use of one of those engine lift plates that bolts in place of the carburetor. Has anybody used one of these? My engine is a '68 327 with the factory Quadrajet intake manifold, so it has the two rear carb-mounting studs. Should I remove these studs and bolt the plate down with grade 8 hardware? Or, will the rear studs and some grade-8 bolts up front be OK? Is the engine easy to manuver during installation with this setup?

Thanks
Wes Carroll

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am lifting my aluminum intake, BB, 10K motor with one so I hope it works! The engine builder didn't have a problem with me doing this........

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Super Moderator
16,199 Posts
I've always lifted using two opposite exhaust bolts (like front left and rear right bolts). Always worked great.

You guys with lift plate experience: does lifting the engine by a lift plate limit your ability to manipulate the engine become more difficult? Since the engine is hanging by a single string does it make moving it around less stable?

On a similar thread, do you add the transmission before you drop in the engine or after? I've always added after.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Sorry guys, but after stripping the threads in an intake by over-torqueing them, I find it very doubtful that it's safe to lift via those little tiny bolts in soft aluminum!!
I'll ALWAYS use a chain bolted to the heads where the intake goes on. That's how GM did it-sounds good to me!

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I guess they are used sucessfully everyday but I'm not using one. Never have. Just knowing that each carb stud has 150-175 pounds of weight on it scares me, particulary if the intake is aluminum.

------------------
-Mark
TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle(Parting out)
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/425
Rat Garage

[This message has been edited by 1BadRat (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Yeah....just the thought of four bolts threaded into an aluminum intake scares me, never used one for that very reason. I always said one day I'd buy a engine tilt device, and did so last summer. TD Products makes an engine tilt/leveler with four short chains attached so you can bolt them to either the front/rear exhaust holes or accessory holes in the front/rear of the heads. I used this several times for both SB and BB motors, works awesome. Shoehorned a SBC into my brothers 68 Camaro with a few quick turns of the tilt handle. Consider it a tool for the long term!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486

[This message has been edited by riskyvt (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Personally, I prefer an engine tilter attached to the front and rear of the engine. Even with trans attached, it gives me better control over positioning and tilting the engine and peace of mind. I know the plates are used successfully, but it would scare me to put that much weight on 4 bolts going into aluminum.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. It seems that the consensus is that an engine lift plate should not be used with an aluminum intake. But, I am keeping my stock cast iron intake... Is it safe to use an engine lift plate with a cast intake? I thought that this method would help save the nice new paint on my engine... Plus, I think it would allow my engine crane to lift the engine higher, since the hook would be really close to the intake.

Thanks again.

Wes Carroll

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The lift plate I bought has been used many times by my friends (I haven't used it on my engines..yet). I helped on one engine pull and we used an old Performer manifold. It actually worked better than the tilt thing. Not too sure if I would use it while pulling the trans at the same time though. The tilt deal would be a better choice. My .02.

·
Registered
527 Posts
They work fine, and don't worry if its aluminum or cast iron intake, tranny or no tranny, big block or small block, used mine many times. Technically you can determine the load by threads per inch on a 7/16 bolt. That will either ease your worry, or scare you. I have never heard of a failure.

[This message has been edited by 1bad67 (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I too have used these for years,I have never had a problem with them, both on BB or SB with aluminum or cast. I have never used a Tilter but it sure looks like it would make a engine swap a lot easier.

------------------
CFR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.