Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decode my big block in my 72 W code SS. Seller said it was a replacement motor. I looked behind the alternator and saw

ce063509

Which told me it was a "Counter Engine" from 1970 and the Tonowanda plant and the 13509 engine made as a replacement.

Has anyone seen a 1970 dated replacement engine in a 72 as a replacement for warranty work of course.

I was happy enough if the car so I bought it for a solid deal. Now I'm just trying to figure out the nitty gritty of the car.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
CE means crate engine. All big block engines were produced at the Tonowanda NY plant.

I highly doubt you'll be able to find more info. Crate engines had no numbers corresponding to any size, HP, 2 or 4 bolt mains, pistons, etc. There are casting codes on the sides of the block that will tell you when the block was cast.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CE means crate engine. All big block engines were produced at the Tonowanda NY plant.

I highly doubt you'll be able to find more info. Crate engines had no numbers corresponding to any size, HP, 2 or 4 bolt mains, pistons, etc. There are casting codes on the sides of the block that will tell you when the block was cast.

Yeah just checked the code turned out to be a 402 not a 454. Really should have ran than number pre-purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Was the vehicle sold to you on the premise that the engine was a 454?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As Dean said

Oh I absolutely believe him. I've read that document before as well just funny how much wrong information is out there. Even the chevelle stuff site has CE listed as possible multiple uses.

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
Oh I absolutely believe him. I've read that document before as well just funny how much wrong information is out there. Even the chevelle stuff site has CE listed as possible multiple uses.

Not 'possible uses' just common uses - albeit wrong. No different from using terms like 'radio delete' or 'a/c delete.' Commonly used but just as incorrect.

But, being the engine is stamped ce063509 tells me it's a replacement engine for a 1970 Chevrolet; or in this case of a 1972 model year, just another engine.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
My bud working a GM parts counter for going on 30 years now says whatever they stated years ago, any GM division engine is called a crate engine. He says "CE" on a crate on a mini pallet is a replacement engine that could be from any division. He also says he's seen the "CE" stamping on non Chevy motors.

However, I do like those old documents!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts