Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What companies make good engine hoists? I will be buying one soon and would like to know whats what, and whos who. Is Carolina good, maybe Arcan. The fold up storage ones look convenient, are those good?

·
Registered
622 Posts
For home use, I have found tools and equipment from Harbor Freight and Northern Handyman to be both decent quality and affordable. I probably wouldn't use them in a professional shop for multi uses every day, but at home they work great.Their stuff is not poor quality as I had imagined. I buy the one that is rated higher than I feel I must have (eg; 3 ton instead of 2 ton)and still save lots of cash. Just my opinion.

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've got one of the fold up ones, and it does the job. It folds up easily and stores away in surprisingly little space. Like 283 said, if it's just for home, it's okay, but not for a shop where you'll be using it all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one from Pivco 812-479-3525 a couple years ago and it works well. I just received a flyer from them and they have them for $200

·
Gold Founding Member
10,973 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a lot of Communist Chineese stuff. Most everything they have is imported.

Bought a Made In USA cherrypicker at Sam's Club for under $250.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Sams has and american made cherry picker for $199.99.
If the crappy offshore ones go bad or the cylinder needs work or rebuilt most hydraulic shops wont even touch them.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I agree with Schurkey the ~$200 ones from Sam's Club/Costco are really nice hoists for the money. We used my friends to drop the 454 in my moms Camaro and it held up just fine.(he paid 199 at Price Club(aka Costco))
Steve

Well now I agree with Toocool as well he beat me to the Submit button!

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 02-09-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Glad to find out about sams club stuff - I'll have to check em out !

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.