Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,just put in a new Ho 350 engine,and dont remember where the ground strap went on engine,the battery ground is hooked up on the alternator top bracket.Where is the best place to hook up this ground strap.The car is a 1971 chevelle,has headers,if that matters,and a turbo 350,
Thanks again
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Been a long time since I've owned a small block so I am going by memory. I believe they are mounted to the inside (manifold side) rear valve cover bolts and then to the firewall in the near vicinity. Doesn't really matter as long as you make a good ground. On custom show cars I mount them from the bottom of the engine and then to the frame or firewall. Also make sure that the strap that goes from the frame to the firewall is attached. This is very near the back of the passenger side inner fender and the frame.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

ACES #5032
TC #1074

·
Registered
34 Posts
There should be 2 ground wires, one for each side, from the firewall to the lower rear valve cover bolts.

------------------
Paul
'66 Red SS 396 360HP L34

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You also need a ground from the battery negative post to the inside right fender. This provides a good ground for the interior items.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't forget the ground from the frame to the firewall, (passenger side way down low where the firwall curves parallel with the street. In the kit I bought from OPG, it gave the spot I just mentioned and the two from the firwall to the valve cover bolts as mentioned above. I did it totally different anyway. I used a 1/0 welding cable from the firewall to the engine tranny bolt, from neg battery to the body of the car, from the frame to the firewall, and from the front of the engine with #8 wire to the radiator core support. My son's car is GROUNDED!

later..........bk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts