Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally have some cash to do my engine..... It is currently a box of parts.

4 bolt main L82 350, forged crank, pink rods, pistons are probably junk. Stock 545 heads 2.02/1.6 Cast - I have 2 sets of these, Car is a 4 speed M-21 with 3.73 posi rear. Do not have exhaust manifolds so will probably run hedders. Will probably run stock, stock + tires/rims nothing crazy.

I want a nice driving car with a little attitude, I do not want a firebreathing strip monster.

Need suggestions on CAM, Pistons, Intake ( I have a Weiland Stealth) and the stock Cast, Would like to run an HEI ignition - suggestions, Size of hedder collective and exhaust - dual. Carb advice CFM make/model etc.

Help me build my car!!! Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
I'm sure you'll get lots of different ideas for your build, but here's mine.

You've got a forged crank and nice rods... I'd look for a set of Speed Pro forged pistons. It seemed the "deals" I found were usually in that catagory.

Is your block decked or have your heads been cut? Are you running a standard bore or will you bore it out?
Without knowing this info it would be hard to give you an exact piston to run.

You'll probably want to stay in the 9.75-10.25 compression range.

I'd run a Lunati Voodoo 60103 or 60104 with your 4sp and gearing.

I'd run your Stealth and an HEI.

For a carb? A Holley 650-750 double pumper especially with your 4sp.

Header size? 1 5/8" primaries with 3" collectors. 2.5 duals should work fine for you with a pair of Magnaflow or Dynomax ultraflows for mufflers.

You can hear that set up on my page in my signature.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Since you don't want a strip monster, let me offer a suggestion or 2. I built a nice driving street car with KB hypereutic pistons. They are quieter than forged (no piston slap) and you don't need a forged piston for street driving (no nitrous). And they are cheaper, Summit has a set of flat tops for $190 for a set. You could even use cast if you want to. I'd keep the compression in the 9.0-9.5 range for use with pump gas. Pick a cam that's fairly mild. I know that you have a 4 speed so you can live with a little more cam , but a nice cam with advertised durations in the 268-280 range will give you plenty of power throughout the RPM range. The Voodoo cams suggested before are a nice choice. I'd use a performer RPM or Stealth intake and a 600cfm vacuum secondary holley. They are so simple to tune and I prefer a vac carb for a street application. That's just my .02 worth. I'm sure, with a little research and careful consideration, (and honesty with yourself as to what you truely want to do with the car) your engine build will be a sucess.:yes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.