Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an replacement under-the-hood light but can't figure where it goes! There are no holes that seem to match. I'm not sure where the wire connects to either.

Anyone added one of these? I know the car could have come with this 'cuz my first Chevelle had one.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Bob

·
Premium Member
15,838 Posts
Bob, I want to add one of these too. I'd say just make sure mounting screws are short and go through ribs of hood obviously, and position for best lighting. They were all on the drivers side.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES
67 SS 427

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Bob,

What year?

'70-72's:

There should be a little "dimple" or hole on the driver's side of the hood. It is on the lower area of the bottom of the last cut-out for the hood insulation. A self-tapping screw holds the light to this location and gives a ground connection. The "hot" wire that feeds the light +12 all the time gets routed over the driver's side innder fender to the horn relay. It then gets connected to one of the outer screws on the horn relay. These screws are live with +12 volts all the time so the light has power at all times in case the engine quits. What turns the light off is a small amount of mercury sealed in the base of the bulb holder. When the hood goes up, the tilting action turns on the lights.

An assembly manual shows exact mounting and routing. Junkyards can be good places to find these lights I've heard as many later year vehicles continued using the same visual design.

Joe

·
Registered
934 Posts
First off, not all Chevelles had one. I know you could get one as part of a lighting package. If you have an assembly manual, check in there. My 66 manual shows 2 locations depending on the engine size. (396 cars had it in a different spot) Not sure what year you have but it might make a difference.

I did notice that all the 70-72 hoods that I have seen already had the 2 holes drilled for the light. On those years, it would be near the master cylinder.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts