Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there- Another non-chevelle question, but should be similar...

On my Oldsmobile 455 (TH400 BOP) When i floor it while the car is moving- the engine bogs down- if i let off a little bit- the power comes way up- it doesn't seem to kick down. Sometimes if i really hold it to the floor, the engine will bog, then very slowly catchup.

This does not happen off the line- I can floor it and it will roast the tires and go like a bat out of hell, so i know its not the carb or the engine.

How exactly does the kickdown on a TH400 work? I know there is the swtich activated by the accelerator petal, but there is also a vacume hose connected to the back of the carb (quadrajet) that runs to the tranny.

Any ideas what is causing this? I thought i'd ask here before i start disconnecting things playing with it.

Thanks!
Ben

------------------
Ben Rambow
1969 El Camino Custom
1968 Olds Delmont 88 Convertable
"Reliable is boring- My life is exciting!"

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I am not an expert in this but I doubt the trans kickdown is the problem. I have seen problems like this over the years and it always seems to be the carb. It sounds like an accelerater pump in the carb not being able to supply enough fuel at the moment you stomp it, the bog if from lack of fuel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.