Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The son of a friend of mine and his wife just bought a house. Moved in last week. While stuffing some of their junk into the attic he noticed what he thinks is a small block Chevy and an automatic transmission up there. It’s in an area above the door to the garage so above the kitchen. He says he has no idea how they would have gotten it up there or how he will get it down.
WTF?
He called me because he knows I mess with old cars so I’m going to go there tomorrow. I’ll crawl up there and see what kind of numbers I can find.
But here’s my first thought...it’s might be rare or valuable or both. Why would anyone go through all of the trouble to stick a 305 or a 307 in the attic? I’m thinking some prior owner stuck it up there for safe keeping and it got forgotten or they died or ?? Or then again maybe it is a 305 and some sic bastard is laughing every time he thinks about what people will think when they find it.
I’ll try to get some pics of where it is too.
Hilarious.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The son of a friend of mine and his wife just bought a house. Moved in last week. While stuffing some of their junk into the attic he noticed what he thinks is a small block Chevy and an automatic transmission up there. It’s in an area above the door to the garage so above the kitchen. He says he has no idea how they would have gotten it up there or how he will get it down.
WTF?
He called me because he knows I mess with old cars so I’m going to go there tomorrow. I’ll crawl up there and see what kind of numbers I can find.
But here’s my first thought...it’s might be rare or valuable or both. Why would anyone go through all of the trouble stick a 305 or a 307 in the attic? I’m thinking some prior owner stuck it up there for safe keeping and it got forgotten or they died or ?? Or then again maybe it is a 305 and some sic bastard is laughing every time he thinks about what people will think when they find it.
I’ll try to get some pics of where it is too.
Hilarious.

l:)

Some dudes really did love IROC's & Monte SS's. ;)

If it is a 305, hopefully there's a 200-4R behind it. That would soften the blow.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Don't be ragging on the poor old 305's. I had one in a 78 Nova a long time ago. Only mods were a cheap set of headers, that little mill ran really good.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
Its NOT a barn find........... Its an " Over the Kitchen find ". :laugh:
Bob

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Maybe it's a NASCAR motor and they were hiding it from the tech inspectors. Maybe the guy was hiding it from his wife as the purchase was not "approved". Maybe a wicked miss-fire sent the engine into the rafters.
Naahh...

This I've got to see. Don't forget pictures for the hungry masses. I guess "barn find" is getting old, now it is "rafter find". I heard of a guy finding an early solid-axle Corvette in pieces, all suspended by rope (?!) inside a garage. Humans can be a strange lot sometimes.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Reminds me of the Lee Majors movie "The Last Chase" where he buried a car under his garage to hide it after they were outlawed.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Just a thought but it's what came to mind why it is up there. Could be hiding it from those that may be looking for it as in stolen.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Just a thought but it's what came to mind why it is up there. Could be hiding it from those that may be looking for it as in stolen.
so the seller of this house would be like me and forgot he hid it there? lol

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
It's probably just the air conditioning unit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How sure are you that it isn't a fake/plastic mock-up engine & trans? We need some pics!
I'm planning to keep an eye on this thread to see how you guys end up getting it down from there too :D

Reactions: lucifershammer

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How sure are you that it isn't a fake/plastic mock-up engine & trans? We need some pics!
I'm planning to keep an eye on this thread to see how you guys end up getting it down from there too :D
I honestly think that’s the major reason he called; to help get it down. Which after pics I may be looking for suggestions.
He said he thought it looked like small block Chevy but he’s not a car guy so the only reference is the 350 in his boat. It could be anything. He did say it’s pretty dirty so probably not a plastic mock-up.
Pics either way, I promise.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts