Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know for sure wat BB Chevelles were standard with emission tubes and pumps and which ones werent???? we have a small debate goin over in Mirc Thanx for your help,, please If U dont know for sure dont guess,,we been doin that already :0) L89SEDAN

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ever since I bought my 69 SS I looked at the blocked smog tube holes on the exhaust manifolds and wondered same thing. Last year I researched it and found that the emissions requirements started in CA in 1966 and were in full swing for the 68 model year and beyond. Speaking for the 69 model year, if you car was a stick shift(any state), it had a smog system. This applied to BB's and SB's alike.

As far as the automatic cars were concerned, the cars could be equipped with smog systems and I don't know if that was mandated by the state the car was sold in or if that was optioned by the buyer. Seeing that most of those systems were removed promptly, I would think that cars with automatics were required by individual state laws to be so equipped.

I hope this helps. There isn't much printed information on this subject.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Well we don't really know for sure, but there was an interesting post a little while back that covered the '70-'72 models. Click here: www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/001459.html
California cars got the pumps starting in '66, but I really don't know if there were any exceptions. By '68, all manual tranny V8s; also all open-element air cleaner V8s used the pump. Ditto for '69.
I don't know if anyone has the definitive answers yet. We really need some original owners to help us out.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 08-25-99).]

·
Registered
368 Posts
L89
With '69 big blocks, only the 325hp automatic(exc. California) didn't have a pump. 325hp Auto had a closed air cleaner, a Thermac and a heat stove instead.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 08-26-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.