Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a rolling restoration on a 1970 El Camino and wondering what the life span of the E brake cables are. One cable crosses the drive line and is contacting it. With this and 37 years of adjusting, is it time to replace with new cables. On a scale of 1 to 10 of difficulty how would this job rate for a novice. Thanks for any and all advice.

Mitch
Stockton, California

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
There should be some little metal hangers that hook into one of the floor pan braces and hold the cable up and off the drive line. These look like a thick round wire about 3-4" long with a hook on each end.

Look for fraying or wear. If it's minimal, I'd get the right hanger and keep what you have.

Replacing the intermediate cable is pretty easy. The ones in the rear axle are a little harder, but mostly because you've got to take the wheels and brake drums off and "fight" the little "fingers" holding the cable in the backing plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zeke, I'll take inventory of the parts I need and tear into it ASAP. I've done a front drum to disc conversion and will wait till I do the rear brakes conversion before replacing the cables back there.
Mitch
Stockton, Ca. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Theres no need to fight the little "fingers" that hold the e brake cables to the backing plates. Just take a small hose clamp and slip it on the cable, tighten it up to compress all the fingers at once. Pull the cable out start to loosen the clamp slightly and the cable will pop right out. I do this all the time when nessesary to reuse the cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts