Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elree-

I'm almost at the point where I'll be installing my new Custom Autosound stereo & CD changer into my 72 Chevelle SS. The entire dash assembly, wiring included, was a swapped unit to replace my round gauge idiot light piece. My question is this....what should I look for near the radio opening for a factory harness that I could get 12V power for my new stereo? I seem to recall several harness plugs with nothing plugged into them, I thought you might be able to tell me which one I need. Thanks!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you still have the radio plug on the harnes it will be a three promnged plug with black, yellow and grey wires. The black is ground, yellow is switched power and grey is dash light power.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve-

Can I verify the wires are still usable by checking with a test light? Is the yellow wire 12V hot when key is on or in the ACC position?

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes you can and yes the yellow wire should have 12v with key in on or acc position.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Just wanted to add some additional information. The 72 radio connector will have an extra tan wire. I would clip this wire at the radio connector to avoid any shorting problems with it. It is power for the TCS circuit and connects to the yellow wire as can be seen in the pic. I also included an additional pic of a 70 connector just a different view.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info everyone! Thanks for the input on the radio harness....now I'll go into battle somewhat prepared.

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts