Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am more than likely going to purchase a particular 68 ss elcamino soon. i'll probaly get it this saturday.
my question is how do they handle as a tow vehicle for pulling a car (68 ss chevelle) and trailer?
ofcourse the power will be there,396. the manual drums are on the way out too.
also is there a hitch available?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There was a post a few months back when some ask about the same question. I would suggest doing a search.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
Jerry,
I have a 76 Cutlass 5sp that I bought new. It has a mild 455 .030 over which I built this way for towing. The car has pwr discs and the 5sp is a Richmond with a 2.41 posi. My main tow pkg is a 56 Vette on a 16ft flat, tandum axle trailer with brakes. Sometimes I tow my 70 Malibu conv. My hitch is tied to both the rear bumper and the frame rails. I have air shocks on the Cutlass so that I can adjust as needed for the load. I try to adjust the position of the car on the trailer so that tongue weight, at the hitch, is between 150-300lbs. If your tongue weight is too light, the trailer will weave back and forth too much. I drive about 65mph with cruise on and it does just fine.
Your Elky and my Cutlass should be similar as far as tow vehicles.
Here is what I really believe you need, in order to use your Elky for optimal towing.
1. A big, low end torque motor, NOT a high performance motor.
2. Pwr discs.
3. If you have an automatic (God save us) I really would highly recommend an additional tranny fluid cooler.
4. Something to compensate for the extra rear weight. A lot of people don't like air shocks. They suit me just fine, because I can adjust the ride height just right. I carry both a cigarette lighter plug-in compressor and a small air tank.
5. Cruise control really helps on long towing trips.
6. TRAILER BRAKES, TRAILER BRAKES, TRAILER BRAKES, TRAILER BRAKES. Did I mention you need to have a trailer with brakes?

Give yourself lots of extra room and time on a towing trip, especially for stopping. Drive very defensively, always watching for that idiot getting ready to pull out from the grocery store parking lot. The one who thinks you can stop on a dime if he jumps out in front of you, or the guy who snaps over into your lane without using his turn signal.
I think you will be OK.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would get a "Quality" reciever hitch. preferably one with a 4-point location, two on each frame rail, even if you have it custom made.
I've been told by more than one scource that: The closer you can get to the differential, the better your Elky will drive while pulling.
Try to stay away from "Behind the Bumper" hitch's. They' just not strong enough for hauling a car (IMHO).
16 years ago, I had a class 'A' reciever welded to the frame rails on my 67 ElCamino, and I pulled a 67 Impala on a flat bed trailer with no problems. Now of course, the only thing I want to pull is 1 "G"

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,613 Posts
Oh oh Jerry, this sounds serious. Is this to tow the Chevelle or Cuda? Enclosed trailer? von

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies.
von, i'm looking for opinions or experiences. i'm getting this truck to replace my 85 full size short box that is my driver and my just incase tow vehicle. the only time i tow is when i get a disable vehicle or as the case was last year, i went to a show in chicago and i had to leave the chevelle in doors all weekend for the show.
i think i would tow the chevelle more having a near matching truck.

humm, show car and matching truck combo.
no enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Did it for years with my first 70 non SS Elky. Had a 350/th350 set up, towed fine.
My Elky had a few modification though.
Disc brakes (originally drums)
Heavy duty rear coil spings on a 10 bolt limit slip dif.
Load leveler shocks front and rear.
Larger front and rear sway bar(add on).
Trans cooler and 4 core radiator.
Class III receiver.

I towed a 4200 lbs Pontoon boat.

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
72 Chevy C20 Flatbed, $500 DRMO sale. Thanks Uncle Sam
I live to own toyz...