Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is a ZZ4 crate eng. in my 70 El Camino. The new alternator will be with built in reg ulator. I plan new wiring harnesses everywhere. I don,t expect you gurus out there to run me a class on elect.which I need but iff someone would steer me to the info I would appreciate it.I want to eliminate the factoy regulator. Can do??? Thanks Bill Brown (Omiatee)

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mayby I found my answer in Tech #14?? But what does CS and SI stand for? It sure is hell to be ignorant. Electrical things are spooky stuff to me. Bill Brown #669 (Omiatee)

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
The SI came out around 1974 and was the first internal regulated alternator. The CS is the smaller (read more$$) ones being used on the late model cars and trucks. Either one is a good conversion and you have found the right info in the Tech Ref #14 to do it correctly. If you follow the colors of the wires back to the source thru the harness the unneeded ones can be removed.

Is it getting a little warm on your end of the state

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 04-25-2000).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 64elcamino. I;ll go back to tech #14 and read it a little more thouroly. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful you guys are. It is getting warmer. 90 right now and maybe 100 by afternoon. Thanks again. Bill Brown

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Bill
You mentioned a new harness. If you haven't bought one yet, do yourself a favor. Some of the harness fabricators will custom build your harness for the internal regulated alternator (& HEI conversion too - if you want). It was mentioned that M&H Fabricators would do this.
Check out the suppliers section at http://chevelles.net .

BTW- the tech article is right on the money. Worked fine for me.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip Rick. If I buy new harness I might as well get the right one. Thanks again Texican. Bill Brown.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick: I searched chevelle .net and could not find M&H Fabricators for the wiring harness. Can you give another clue how to contact them? Thanks Bill.

------------------
Bill Brown. 70 El Camino.Member#669. Slowly getting back in the groove.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rick. I clicked it up and looks like the right place and not too far from me.Team Chevelle did it again. Bill.

------------------

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I wrote that techref and I'm glad it's used.

The question about what CS and SI stands for made me laugh. Damn, I'd really like to know if the letters stand for something!!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Inition Man.WesV; How about CS= Constant speed and SI= Stupid Ignition?

------------------

·
Registered
330 Posts
Who's got a stupid ignition??? Watch it, buddy! (hahahahaha)

CS = Constant Sensing.

SI= Signal Induced.

Refers to the way voltage is used to initiate regulator and charge voltage turn-on between the two different designs.

Most people are not aware the CS series alternators can be set up to start a few different ways.

CS small series alternators have one very serious problem. The rear case has a weak rear bearing bore in most of the alts produced until 1997, and the ball rear mainshaft bearing will end up just fine, the the bore it rides in will flat go away, causing the internal moving parts to strike the non-moving parts, junking the alternator. Latrer alts have a beefed up end frame in the rear case to better support the rear bearing. Most problems come with the CS when the alt is used with some form of automatic tensioner tightened serpentine belt setup.

I don't use the CS stuff, too much trouble, the SI stuff is much easier to use and will survive any nuclear blast, bulletproof.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 05-02-2000).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not the cheapest, but I got my 64 harness from Year One already modified for internally regulated alternator (be sure to specify when you order) - It went right in and works great.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks 383v8. How do I contact Year One. you see I have been away a long long long time and need all the help I can get. My car is not an SS but I l;ike the look. I want it to look like an SS. I hpe I dont **** off too may people but this is the last car I will be restoring and will keep it till the man calls me to that graet Chevy garage in the sky.

------------------

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know for a fact that most of the Year One musclecar looms are made by M&H. I only live 3 miles from M&H, was down there one day, saw looms going into Year One logo packaging, and Painless, and others.

M&H makes stock and mild conversion looms for just about everybody in the restoration (read Musclecar and stock) business. The guys are LARGE.

Most all the vendors M&H make the musclecar and stock looms for, make their own street rod looms though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ignition Man. I just received M&H catalog in the mail. Loks like top notch stuff to me. I,ll be coming to Calif. soon to visit a friend in Santa Fe Springs. I thiink I will drop in at M&H and take a look see. Take note all you guys out there. If you want the right skinny on this Chevy stuff join Team Chevelle.

------------------

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stop by my nuclear test site of a shop and say hello, it ain't far from M&H. When are you here??? there are other places to visit here, let me know what you need automotive, and I can help with people and directions, if you wish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks bud. I sent you an Email. and I definetly will stop by. I dont know when right now but I,ll call when I get there. Thanks for the invite. Bill.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts