Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 SS 396 that I would like to convert from points to electronic ignition. I have done several corvettes, but they always had a ceramic balast resistor that reduced the voltage from 12 to 8 volts after cranking the car. This is my first Chevelle, so when I didn't find a balast resistor in the car, I looked in the assy manual, and did not find one there. My question:Is there someting in the car that reduces this voltage to the coil after cranking, or does it run straight 12 volts all of the time? If there is some type of resistor where is it. I have the Pertronix conversion unit. Can I run the +/- wires from the distributor straight to the coil? Do I need to add a balast resistor? Thanks

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Not sure on a '66, but probably like a '69. You will see a braided cotton wire, white with a stripe and a yellow wire tied together on the + side of the coil. The braided wire is resistor and the yellow wire goes to the starter to give +12 while cranking. Just tape off and tie back. Get a switched +12V from the fuse box, on a '69 its marked IGN. You will need to check and make sure it has +12 both while in the START and ON position. This will go to the Pertronix +12V source wire and + on the coil. Is that correct John?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if that be the case could I just connect the pos wire from pertronix to the existing pos wire running from the dist to the coil?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts