Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a severe problem with the wiring in my 69 malibu. When I turn the key, the dummy lights for the alternator comes on and there is a click in my solenoid. I have a wire hooked straight to my starter that I have to contact to the battery to get the engine to turn over. However the car will not crank unless the ignition switch is turned. I have replaced the starter, solenoid, horn relay switch, alternator, and voltage regulator but still haven't nipped the problem. The reason I replaced all the other stuff is because my horn relay button "buzzes" when I hook the battery up. I believe the culprit to this problem is my ignition key switch. My question is this: How do you go about replacing the key switch in a 1969 malibu 307 automatic? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Broken, It is not hard to replace the ign lock, but I would suggest you get a service manual and a lock plate tool. My best time to date in changing one is 18 minutes, but I have done a few. It took my son 3 hours on his first one. I have seen bad switches make the key alert buzzer stay on. If you don't want to change the lock you can disconnect the black wire with the pink stripe at the horn relay.

Have you checked the purple wire from the ignition switch to the safety switch and then to the solenoid? It sounds like you may have a problem with it or the safety switch also. Make sure the purple wire is attached to the "s" terminal at the starter and not the "r".

I hope this helps.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.