Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS, I'M FINISHING UP ON MY 68 THAT I GOT BACK IN FEB. THE CAR WAS A RESTORED SHELL WITHOUT THE DASH OR THE DASH HARNESS. I OPTED FOR THE SS GAGES AND GOT THE HARNESS FOR THE GAGES AND ALL HOOKED UP FINE TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE. HOWEVER WHEN I TURN THE LIGHTS ON THE DIRECTIONAL INDICATORS IN THE DASH CLUSTER COME ON DIMMLY AND THE FUEL GAGE READS LOWER THAN IT ACTUALLY IS AND THE TEMP GAGE PEGS OUT. THE ENGINE HARNESS LOOKS NEW BUT THERE WAS SOME EXTRA WIRES HOOKED INTO THE HORN RELAY'S BATT SIDE. THE HORN DOESNT WORK EITHER WITH THE WHEEL BUTTON, ONLY WHEN YOU TOUCH A JUMPER WIRE FROM GROUND TO ONE OF THE TERMINALS WILL IT ACTUALLY SOUND OFF. I HOPE THIS WASN'T TOO MUCH TO CHEW ON ALL AT ONCE. ANY IDEAS? OH YEAH I ALMOST FORGOT I DON'T HAVE ANY DIRECTIONALS , BUT I DO HAVE 4 WAYS ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure I have a good ground but I'll check it again tonight.The 4 way flashers or hazard lights is what I was referring to they do work

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
From what you've described you most definately have a/several grounding problems. The circuits are hunting around for an adequate ground through themselves and other paths. This is why lamps are glowing dim, and things don't work.

I wrote this awhile back, it may help.
Basics of Basics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input John I didn't get a chance to look at it last night but I will tonight. Ive seen cars with the ground strap from the engine to the firewall. Is that connection that important? I have the neg batt cable hooked up to the chassis and not the block. could this be the root of my troubles?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I'm guessing here (albiet logical) the neg battery cable is attached to the engine because it is the shortest path to the highest amperage draw device on the car - the starter.

The rest of the car is grounded via the engine/trans mount bolts, and by the supplimental ground straps. In a lot of cases the straps were more for radio interference suppression, but they do help complete a good negative path for other devices.

I don't know about '68, but my '64 has several intricate pieces of bent/punched tin that are between the plastic dash and the switches. These stampings electrically connect (neg side) the switches, instrument cluster, and other "stuff" to ground. One "leg" of these stampings usually gets trapped under a mounting screw for the dash bezel, thus completing the ground circuit.

Do '68's have this??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Large negative cable should go to to the block. The starter needs that large line. Should also be a wire from battery (-) to the right inside fender.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, behind the bezel, there is a piece of stamped out metal that goes over the lights, wiper and cig lighter. I have one wire that hooks into the back of the gage housing and goes to the metal chassis. I'm going to reroute the ground connection to the block and fender and check the one at the @ the back of the bezel and see what happens. Ill keep you informed. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright I had a ground but not a very good one. all works the way there supposed to. but I still don't have any directionals or horn. The only thing that works in that harness is the hazard lights. thanks John, lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
The turn signal flasher is under the dash by the steering column. The flasher in the fuse box is for the 4 ways. The connector is a 2 terminal "L" shape with 2 pink wires on one side and a purple on the other.

BL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, When I got the car it had two black wires coming from the relay on the batt side and routed back through the firewall and poked out under the dash. these were obviously not original, so I removed them. I will check my stumpmatic tonight and see if I can figure it out. I will let ya know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts