Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained my 67 Malibu and have found that when you turn the lights on, the dash lights do not work but both dash turn signal lights come on. When you turn on a turn signal the indicator then flashes. Also the fuel gauge shows full. The previous owner installed a separate horn button because the horn on the wheel doesn’t work and also installed a switch under the dash to be able to turn the heater blower motor on due to the fact that none of the heater controls are connected. I guess I have to replace my wiring and was thinking about using the Pain Less harness so I could change over to Gauges. Has anyone used the Pain less harness and which should I use, the 12 or 18 circuit.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
sounds like a mess under there
the dash lights could be the headlamp switch or maybe the fuse
the turn signals could be blown out bulbs on the outside of car
the fuel gauge probably a ground problem back by the tank
the horn - bad relay - broken or missing parts
the heater - probably a bad switch
a wiring harness might fix some stuff but alot of
this may be switches, bulbs, grounds and elbow grease
have not used any painless stuff
I normally replace or repair with stock parts or
a harness specifically made for that particular vehicle

·
Registered
552 Posts
Try replacing some fuses. I have the same problem rightnow with the dash lights going out all the time, but that's because my fuse box terminals are rusted and are shorting out the fuses all the time. Also you might not need to get new wiring harnesses, when I bought my 65 the wiring was a mess, nothing worked, but I found a really good electrician in town who worked on old cars all the time. This old guy was good, he used my original harnesses and got everything working, I also told him to install a fusible link and now my headlights are brighter then some newer cars out there. Don't under estimate your harnesses, you might just be able to use them and save some money. Now that I got everything working I had to order an original fuse block from American Autowire. Good Luck

·
Registered
552 Posts
Also if you do decide to go with new harnesses, get the factory fit from Original Parts Group(OPG), or if you have alot of accessories, go with the Painless wiring. The 18 circuits are for power windows,elctric fan,etc. and the 12 circuit is for mostly stock cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
fuel gauge: 3 things i know of. 1)check and clean tanks ground connection its just before tank. 2)if not,place jack and block of wood under tank, loosen 2 tank bolts, and lower til you can get to sending unit connection. pop wire off nipple,clean male and female connections. if not,drop out tank, sending unit may be grouding against tank remove sending unit, make sure gasket is a-ok, reinstall being sure unit is not touching metal. at step one you should hear clicking from gauge as you remove and reinstall ground, as it reads e to full , e to full.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The problems you are having with the cluster(lights, fuel guage, blinker) are typical of an ungrounded cluster in a 66-67. There should be a stamped sheet metal strap that grounds the metal back of the cluster to the dash. This strap is often not replaced if the cluster is removed.Try grounding the metal back of the cluster to the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KEN67RAT You are the man. The ground wire was missing. I put one on and everything came to life, even the fuel gauge. Thank You very much. You saved me some money. Now instead of a new wire harness I might just get the gauge upgrade for my dash.

Just took it out for a test run and noticed that the dash lights are dim when at idel but when running at speed they are bright. could this be the ALT going bad. found another crossed wired problem now the back up lights come on when in park and not revese..just got to track it down.

Also got to check that I grounded it properly the gas gauge still showing at over full..might have to move the ground I put in OR my tank is still full haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm glad things are working for you. The problem with the backup lights may be a switch adjustment. Look at the steering column close to the firewall. It has been a long time since I have worked on a auto column, I don't remember if there are 2 switches(one for backup lights, and one for neutral safty) or whether it is a combination switch. If it is 2 switches, the backup light switch is the one with a pink and light green wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ken,
It's a 2 speed Power Glide floor shift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts