Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go. I am currently working on my 70 SS BB with factory SS dash and am just dying to drive it, been rebuilding for 5 years and have a few electrical issues.
1. Car will die when I remove neg cable. New votage req and Alt. I think the alt is external, not sure tho. It has two wires which go into a grey two wire plug as well as one wire which goes on a post on the back of the alt. Is this internal or external. I purchased the items and replaced the old just like what came in the car. Do not know if this is right arrangement. 2. There is a small indicator light on the dash, is sits in a recessed hole, it remains on all the time when the key is on. Not sure what it is or what it is for or what it indicates 3. Amp gauge does not move at all running or not or starting, just points straight up at zero 4. I also have some lighting issues, here goes. The rear lights work great Yeah. The front needs help. Head lamps work great, turn signals work great, now here is the kicker, When I turn on the head lights the left turn signal goes out and the right gets really bright, and the left indicator light on the dash glows dim like. Turn of the head lights blinkers work great. need help (obviously) thanks

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Ok here we go. I am currently working on my 70 SS BB with factory SS dash and am just dying to drive it, been rebuilding for 5 years and have a few electrical issues.
There is always a few issues when rebuilding a car.

FF276 said:
1. Car will die when I remove neg cable.
You should not do that, it can blow the diodes in the alternator. The proper way to check the charging system is to check the voltage, at the battery, with the car running at a fast idle, should be 13.8-14.5 volts or so.

FF276 said:
New votage req and Alt. I think the alt is external, not sure tho. It has two wires which go into a grey two wire plug as well as one wire which goes on a post on the back of the alt. Is this internal or external.
To tell the difference between externally and internally regulated alternators, see my post here w/pics http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105661

FF276 said:
2. There is a small indicator light on the dash, is sits in a recessed hole, it remains on all the time when the key is on. Not sure what it is or what it is for or what it indicates
Is it a blue light? If so its the high beam indiacator. One side of the bulb is wired to the high beams, the other side to ground. With the headlights off, and the bulb removed check to see where the power is comming from, the high beams or the ground.

FF276 said:
3. Amp gauge does not move at all running or not or starting, just points straight up at zero 4.
Factory amp gauge is wired like the pic below, check to see if its getting power, remove battery and check the amp gauge circuit for continuity, as the copper trace on the PCB board might be melted.

FF276 said:
I also have some lighting issues, here goes. The rear lights work great Yeah. The front needs help. Head lamps work great, turn signals work great, now here is the kicker, When I turn on the head lights the left turn signal goes out and the right gets really bright, and the left indicator light on the dash glows dim like. Turn of the head lights blinkers work great. need help (obviously) thanks
Check all the grounds, make sure they are tight and use star washers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undee 70SS (Greg U)
Thanks for the reply, I have a external Alt. What causes the car to die with the neg removed. I did the neq removal trick because I was told it was a quick way to determine if Alt was charging. How do I remedy this deal. The warning light issue is not the bright light indicator, the warninglight is clear no green cover over bulb, is it a alt warning light? I will go back and untape all forward light wiring and redo! wish me luck

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Undee 70SS (Greg U)
Thanks for the reply, I have a external Alt. What causes the car to die with the neg removed.
No output from the alternator

FF276 said:
I did the neq removal trick because I was told it was a quick way to determine if Alt was charging. How do I remedy this deal
Repair or replace your charging system (alternator and voltage regulator) or convert to a internally regulated alternator.

FF276 said:
The warning light issue is not the bright light indicator, the warninglight is clear no green cover over bulb, is it a alt warning light? I will go back and untape all forward light wiring and redo! wish me luck
Factory gauge cars do not have a GEN light. Are you sure its not for oil pressure, TS, or something else?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
The car dies when you remove the negative cable because you have no ground to the ignition. The ignition ground should run through the engine block and negative cable so that is not necessarily a problem. If you had the engine to firewall grounds installed the engine would keep running but those grounds were only meant to eliminate noise in radio equiped cars. They were not meant to provide a circuit ground for the engine, the main negative cable does that.

As far as lights, like Greg said make sure all the grounds in the front harness are good and tight. Several grounds from the harness to the radiator support.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input I will try and figure out all the problems and let all you know how things turned out. Again thanks, I am just about done with my - Our- five year build. This was my first attempt and this big project. Perhaps I will post some pics of the car. It is a fathom blue SS with pearl interior with white stripes and a white vinyle top. I like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.