Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem. I've had teh '68 in storage for about a month with the battery disconnected. I went to replace the temp gauge and sending unit today, got the new gauge in place, re-connected the battery and when it starts the generator light comes on, and my stereo no longer works. Well I took it around the block, and the car died - seemed like an electrical short somewhere. It died and sputtered, the lights flickered and then it finally died. I got out and fiddled with the battery terminals, and got it to start again, but it died a few more times the same way on the way home. Just in the span of one city block, mind you. With the generator light on the whole time. Long story short, I get it back in the garage and discover I forgot to re-connect my ground wire from the stereo which I have going into the gauge frame that I just replaced. So now the stereo works fine, and the generator light is not on anymore, but the cutting out problem still has me puzzled. I have not driven it since re-grounding the stereo. Are any or all of these problems related? Help!

F

·
0 Posts
Wiring is always scarey business! Frustrating. It sounds like a bad alternator? You said you had it running then the GEN light came on and it died? That happened to me alot before I replaced mine, or the regulator maybe? Other than that it could be a small number of things :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the generator light went off again though. Would a really dirty positive battery connection cause a similar problem? I disconnected it and cleaned it up so it was shiny again and no problems since. It only occured after I reconnected the battery cable after it was in storage for a while. But I thought that even if your battery died the car would still run if the charging system was good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts