Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing on car that never had them before.

Would anyone know where the main power lead plugs into? From what I have read in my various manuals, the motors are protected by their own individual circuit breakers so the power doesn't need to come from a circuit breaker (like the power top) I understand the concept of the relay as it limits the window operation to only when the ignition is on. The relay has a brown wire that only plugs into an ACC receptacle on the fuse block as the plug is keyed for that slot only.

There is a thick orange wire with black tracer that I beleive is main power, where does this go? Does it plug into IGN or BAT? it seems like IGN is the choice but I want to be sure. If so why do I need the relay?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I could not find the power windows wire schematics in the Assembly manual, repair manual, fisher body manual or Haynes manual.

Oh its a '70 ragtop. Thanks

--Andy--

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Convertible (being restofied)
1937 Master Business Coupe
TC #551, ACES #3513, VCCA #35642
http://home.earthlink.net/~andypap/wsnC442.html

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm it"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second thought: Does the orange with black tracer plug onto the same power feed the power top connects to? if so this means that the power top and power windows share the circuit breaker, what amp breaker will I need?

Thanks again!!

--Andy--

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Andy,

I've never worked on a first generation Chevelle with factory-stock power windows, however I believe I can clarify some things.

"Big" accessories like the power top got the master power (+12 v) tapped off of the horn relay junction. Remember this is HOT (has 12 v) ALL of the time regardless if the car is running or even if the key is in.

A wire then runs to the firewall where the circuit breaker is (the are usually 30 amps), this provides protection in case something shorts out on the inside of the car.

I've never really thought about it--does a convertible with pwr windows share the same circuit breaker ????
Not sure.

Anyway, after it leaves the circuit breaker, it would go into your relay. A relay is simply a switch that needs electricity to turn on. The relay's coil needs power and ground to turn the relay on. One side of the coil goes to the ACC fuse connection in the fuse box. This means that the relay will ONLY turn on and complete the current path to the window circuits when the key is in the ACC position or the key is ON or the engine is running. Those are all the times the ACC has power. All of the current for the windows needs is drawn thru the relay's contacts--remember we are getting a direct path from the battery thru the circuit breaker ONLY when the realy is on.

This was done so the battery is not drained by people playing with the windows when no key is in.

You DO NOT want to connect the main power feed wire to the windows to the fuse box, it is NOT mean to handle that kind of current.

I believe the black/orange wire does indeed go to the circuit breaker on the firewall.

I still can not tell you what to do though on the "shared" circuit breaker thing". I'm not sure if the factory installed a second breaker when both options-convertible top and pwr windows were ordered OR they simply connected them to the same one.

Hopefully someone with a similarly optioned car can chime in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Andy,
Since you have a power top, is there a circuit breaker mounted on the firewall between the master cylinder & the fender? If so, one side runs to the horn relay (+12v), the other side should go through the firewall with a connector that has 3 taps for the power accessories. The circuit breaker is a 30A.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Andy, I am holding in my hands a power window harness that I just pulled out of a 72 gran prix.The way it is set up is as followes. As soon as the window harness comes through the car,there is a plug with 3 wires on it.Orange/black tracer,red/white tracer,and a smaller red or pink wire.(on my origonal elcamino harness this wire is brown)From the relay the orange and small red wire goes towards the fuse box.The orange wire goes into a threeway spliter that is shared by your other power acc.This car also had power buckets(wich I now own)From this splitter a single orange wire goes to a two way splitter that plugs into the fuse box.From the other side of the two way splitter is a condensor that mounts to the firewall next to the fuse box. Unfortionatly the splitter and the small red wire were both unpluged so I don't know exactly were they plug in. Hopefully Coppertop can help us out with that. This is a 4 window harness so there is also a plug that goes to the rear.I beleive it connected to the intermetiate body harness, but I could be wrong about that.There is a circuit breaker in the power acc. spot.It has 40-12v written on it.I think either the orange or small red has to connect next to this. The last wire rom the relay is the red/white tracer.It feeds the rear harness and the passanger side window switch. On this 72 set up there was nothing going to the horn relay.WOW, there it is. Hope you can follow it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 72sselcamino. I layed my harness out on the floor and followed your directions. It matches perfectly. I found the three way splitter but am missing the circuit breaker. The manual says that 40amp is correct,

Thanks again!!!!

--Andy--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts