Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a water pump for my SBC, be it a traditional belt-driven aluminum pump, or an electric. Are electrics good enough for street use? Good enough for a drag-week type event?

Thanks,

-Dave

Reactions: blue_69_malibu

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,496 Posts
I ran the Moroso electric motor and belt setup on a stock water pump on the street and strip. It did not work well on the street but was great on the track. Electric is great to just turn on to cool off the engine between rounds. It did not spin fast enough for street use. It ran hot with a high stall converter and low rear gear driving for long periods of time, then cooled back off in traffic. There are many factory cars that use electric pumps though. You will be fine if you get a good one.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
What I have found with mechanical pumps is the HV ones seem to push the coolant through the radiator too fast so the engine does not cool. Case in point, my 1st. gen F-car in the late 80's always ran hot with my 454 and no matter what I changed it still ran hot even with the 4 core rad, 4 different fan setups. One day I was wondering why my old BBC Nova never ran over 180° but this car is always over 200° then a thought had occurred to me to find that water pump. I went digging and found it, took the one off the car and popped the back covers off both of them. The one on the car had 9 impellers and the Nova one had 7 so I took and put new gaskets on them and put that Nova pump on the car. I ran it in the heat and drove everywhere, guess what? the car never went over 185° that day. The pump I had on the car was a Vette HV model and was pushing the coolant through the radiator too fast and the other stock volume pump fixed the problem, so if you see that it may be your problem. As for Electric pumps I have 3 for a BBC and I was going to use one on my SBC but none of those companies will sell me just the ears that bolt on the side of the pumps. Guess I can buy a china knock off and steal them to bolt on.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I've been wanting to go electric but I currently have outstanding cooling with a mechanical on a street car. I still would worry about the reliability but many are now claiming pretty high run hours.

If I go with electric, I was thinking Meziere Remote Pump.

Mike

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Electric for the streetnot a problem.

Been running one now for about 5000mi without a problem.

water flow is a major component to cooling, and the fact you get maximum flow weather your at idle or max rpm gives you the best cooling situation.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I'll pass on a $850 water pump.. thats crazy, haha..

I know mechanical is dead-reliable, just wondering if I could gain some flexibility (cooling between rounds) while maintaining reliability. I've always just run my electric fan between rounds, then start it up for 10-15 seconds to circulate the water.

Those of you running them, what brands?

-Dave

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
And those running an electric on the street.

1. Running a thermostat or restrictor?
2. Toggle switch or Electric (or thermo) switch?

Mike

Reactions: ChevelleFan70

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
And those running an electric on the street.

1. Running a thermostat or restrictor?
2. Toggle switch or Electric (or thermo) switch?

Mike
running a stewart warner brushless electric. It can be used as a sole unit to push water or as a 'booster' to your current running mechanical. This pump does a true 55gpm, basically it pumps a 5gal pale out in 5 seconds.

yes thermostat install with a bypass hose hooked up. as well heater is hooked up and operation and in my case as well a watercooled wastegate.

i run a hobbs switch on the oiling system, when it sees oil pressure it turns on the pump. Will be setting up a secondary hard switch for between round cooling.

this pump was dramatically less than the noted $850...

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Engine Masters did a dyno test to see how much HP a mechanical water pump used.
The maximum loss was less than 4 HP at over 6000 rpm.

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,272 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll pass on a $850 water pump.. thats crazy, haha..

I know mechanical is dead-reliable, just wondering if I could gain some flexibility (cooling between rounds) while maintaining reliability. I've always just run my electric fan between rounds, then start it up for 10-15 seconds to circulate the water.

Those of you running them, what brands?

-Dave
I never do anything to try to cool down between rounds. Leave the hood shut too. Just prefer to run it heat soaked, more consistent for me.

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
I went 9.30’s with an edelbrock aluminum victor mechanical pump. Only went to electric to be able to circulate the water to cool it down to 160 for the next round. I also used the Meziere 55 gpm pump with a thermostat with the bypass holes in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts