Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I’ve been beating this particular drum since I started working in the power generation industry 13 years ago.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
When you stop to charge up your car it takes a lot longer than pulling up to the pump. I figure once there are enough of these cars on the road the electric companies will have you by the balls when they increase the rates. :surprise:

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I’ve been beating this particular drum since I started working in the power generation industry 13 years ago.
He’s bringing this up because last night the states power regulatory agency instituted region wide rolling blackouts due to high demand from a heatwave. Like clockwork, within minutes several politicians came out condemning the power companies. This comes at a time when the state is pushing for for a goal of 44% of its power to be generated by renewable sources by 2024, 52% by 2027.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Our County is using $89000 VW fine money to put a charging station in our small town, near a WalMart and Wendys so people have a place to go while their car charges.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Our County is using $89000 VW fine money to put a charging station in our small town, near a WalMart and Wendys so people have a place to go while their car charges.
You might need a few more if they get that Green New Deal thing passed.......

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
He’s bringing this up because last night the states power regulatory agency instituted region wide rolling blackouts due to high demand from a heatwave. Like clockwork, within minutes several politicians came out condemning the power companies. This comes at a time when the state is pushing for for a goal of 44% of its power to be generated by renewable sources by 2024, 52% by 2027.

Steve R
I figured it was something like that. While wind and solar power generation are “clean”, they don’t have the reliability nor the efficiency to keep up with demand. Large steam turbines are the most reliable, most efficient, most powerful, etc. way to generate electricity. If the greenies want carbon free electricity that’s reliable, they need to start building nukes again.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
As a previous Volt owner, I charged my car after 6P. It took 4 hours with a 220v charging station installed in my garage. If and when they get batteries that can charge in 15 mins, perhaps more people will be charging during the day and it will be a large problem. As you know, peak energy demand drops as the sun goes down.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
Our local power company is installing a natural gas powered turbine generator behind the company that I work at. It will be run at high demand times. It can be started and stopped quickly. Steam powered generators take a long time to start up and shut down. As far as charging times of electric cars, I think a 400 mile range is more than I would need 98% of the time.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
As a previous Volt owner, I charged my car after 6P. It took 4 hours with a 220v charging station installed in my garage. If and when they get batteries that can charge in 15 mins, perhaps more people will be charging during the day and it will be a large problem. As you know, peak energy demand drops as the sun goes down.
The rolling blackouts last night were between 7:00pm and 11:00pm. The article I read said there was 48,800 megawatts available and they were using 48,250 when the rolling blackouts were initiated. The article did mention something about solar running at reduced capacity due to cloud cover, but that wouldn’t have mattered once the sun set. This will be interesting to see how this plays out since California weather is typically its hottest between now and the end of September, sometimes into early October.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,229 Posts
If you were on a long trip, how much would a battery charge if you stopped to eat for 30-60 minutes? This may be a better question for a Tesla owner since they have charging stations everywhere for them.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I think a ev would be okay for a daily driver since most people don't put 200 miles a day going back and forth to work. a great perk at a business would be to have charging stations in the parking lot so they cars get charged on the companies dime while your working. Keep the trusty gas vehicle for the vacations and trips to the lake. jim

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
If you were on a long trip, how much would a battery charge if you stopped to eat for 30-60 minutes? This may be a better question for a Tesla owner since they have charging stations everywhere for them.
I was intrigued by the Volt having an IC engine in reserve if the battery goes flat. The engine would keep the car running without battery but would not charge it. Therefore you had all the range you needed. When I was driving it to and from work I never needed fuel.

I know battery technology continues to move forward but it still requires a set amount of energy be transferred from the charging station to the battery.

I loved how quiet, smooth and solid the car was and would Not hesitate to have another.

PS did you know they had special low friction tires?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Used electric vehicles and hybrids are a money pit because of decreased battery life. Electric trucks and SUVs is another joke, try pulling a 5000 lb trailer for any distance with one.

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It is being transferred from one form to another. How is it that greenies don't understand this basic trade-off? My internal combustion engine does not produce radioactive waste and I am not willing to give up the quick fuel-ups. In the Great White North we have short daylight hours & a need for heat for a significant portion of the driving year. I.C. engines still produce inefficient heat, but that heat is great if you don't like driving in a walk-in freezer. Think about that. Just like the new energy efficient traffic lights that don't produce inefficient heat, except that ice formed on the lights now, so they had to add electric heaters, making them use more electricity and costing more to produce. Does anyone see anything wrong with this scenario? It is being repeated in many areas of life. Tortured overwork vs. status-quo.

I will say one thing though, forcing electrics is speeding development. Efficiencies are increasing but the cost is high. Prices will come down when production goes up.

With the increased electrical demand, already at a high because everyone runs a/c, computers. TV, major appliances, throwing millions more electric cars into the grid that need a charge before they can move will result in wind turbines in every open space. Right now wind turbines are a big show, a visible manifestation of the self-righteous save-the-world movement. We need capacity and every little bit helps, but to me they represent a triumph of enthusiasm over reality, which isn't surprising since the greenies are so smug & self-righteous. In our province, electricity rates are the highest in North America. Sounds perfect, Go Green :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rolling blackouts last night were between 7:00pm and 11:00pm. The article I read said there was 48,800 megawatts available and they were using 48,250 when the rolling blackouts were initiated. The article did mention something about solar running at reduced capacity due to cloud cover, but that wouldn’t have mattered once the sun set. This will be interesting to see how this plays out since California weather is typically its hottest between now and the end of September, sometimes into early October.

Steve R
They were a bit earlier here. My brother called me on his cell around 5 pm to ask me to see if I would do a search to see what's going on. I found that there were several cities which lost power due to rolling blackouts of ~ an hour each. We had 100* temps yesterday in soCal and it's supposed to be warmer today.
I find it funny that they are cramming electric vehicles down our throats. GM has pretty much blown their wad in R&D for this scam.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Just remember, if Obiden and Horrid get "elected", there will be NO vehicles, gasoline, Diesel, or electric. ALL transportation will be by government provided means, and, we will all have an embedded "chip", supposedly to make sure if we are injured, or kidnapped, we can be found (REAL reason, Obiden/Horrid would insist on tracking our every move).

Besides, they will end up adopting the one Communist VP hopeful's tenets, NO personal property ownership, EVERYTHING will end uo owned, and managed by our "federal government", NO exceptions.

Isn't that just special.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Steve R

Yes it was hot here in the Bay Area yesterday and today climbing...Not Arizona hot, but uncomfortable ...Humidity, too...Recharging my EGO Power Station getting ready if happens again...

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
While there is concern with "making" electricity we best not forget about the ability to deliver said energy to where it is needed (can you say everywhere). Look at what happened on the east coast a week or so ago. What about when other storms occur (ice storms, too!). That worries me more than our ability to "make" it no matter how it is done. Everyone is no able to have their own generator either.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts