Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's S10 wont do anything with the ignition, not even click but when we hot wire from the coil direct to the battery, then the ignition turns over. it will stay running then when you turn off the ignition switch and only turn off buy pulling the hot wire from the battery. It will stay running when you pull the wire as long as the ignition switch is on.
Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Year? Automatic? Manual transmission? HEI coil? Do you see 12 volts (HEI) on the coil wire (B+) with the key turned to ON?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
john, it's an 83 manual tranny. not sure about the dist.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Not sure how jumpering power to the coil allows the starter to work. :confused:

I would suspect the clutch safety switch. It’s designed to interrupt the start circuit and the power to the coil. After the engine starts there is an engine speed switch that bypasses the clutch switch to keep power on the coil.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I don't have a schematic with me but that would be a great place to start. However without one I would concentrate on the simplist thing, cranking.
Find the ignition switch probably mounted on top of the steering column. Check the big red wire for juice. Turn the switch to start and check the starter wire probably either yellow or purple for 12v. I am guessing the positive wire has no voltage. I am guessing a burnt fusable link at the starter if that is where they are on this vehicle stopping all power to the ignition switch. When you juice the coil and turn on the ignition switch you are back feeding the circuit and drawing too much current through too small a wire I am sure. Check the battery terminals CLEAN AND TIGHT. Let us know I am curious.
Mark

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Welcome aboard Mark. Great you respond with some good information. Don't expect conclusion to everything posted here. Most you won't see. Sorta like sex. Once they are are happy you don't get kissed in the morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys we have checked the safty switch on the clutch. I cant believe that would be bad because even when the thing is hotwired it wont turn over without pushing in the clutch.

AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I have done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again. I made a mistake, the power to your coil is a direct feed from the ignition switch. So, as CoyoteBluff stated, it could be a fusible link at the starter. With the engine not running check for voltage on the alternator output terminal. With the engine running the alternator will supply the power which can explain why the engine runs after your jumper is removed. It also explains why the starter functions when the jumper is in place. Again as stated by CyotoeBluff, power is back feeding to the ignition switch through the coil power feed wire. You can try jumpering the battery + to the alternator output. If it cranks and starts it's likely the fusible link.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Thanks for the Welcome Abort John. It is good to finally "be home" I am learning a lot and have tons of questions so I try to help out where I can. Electrical is the only area I seem to be able to help. Best Wishes Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.