Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coppertop & other Electrical Gurus
Have a great running quad (just took off '86 Parisienne) but it has an electrical
connection (not the choke) on top. It is a
2 pin connection. Some have told me that this is an electronic metering control ?
How does it work? Could it be made to work on a Chevelle? Seems like a more efficient way of fuel metering could help power and economy?
Thanks,
Ron D.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Ron,

Unless someone else can help, I'll have to see if I can look into that. Definitely sounds like emissions related, hopefully it is only used as an "output", and not depending on signals from a computer to work right.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Ron. I know for sure Doug Roe's book (1986 version) describes this type of carb. I will have to read it again tonight to see if he mentions a work around for a non ecm car.

Rob

[This message has been edited by rusty66 (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have a E4M series Q-JET. The carb used the GM Computer Command Control (CCC)and has solenoid controlled metering. There is a mixture control solenoid that is the top connection you described controls metering to the idle and main systems that gets it signal from the ECM. There should also be a connection on the front side that is the throttle position sensor that sends a signal to the ECM. If you need more info I can e-mail it to you. A few of my friends use to run these. There is nothing like a fine tuned Q-JET. When they are at WOT sounds like they are going to suck the hood into the engine. On the older carb's anyway with double stacked filter's. Got to love that.

[This message has been edited by 16V149 TI (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is the carb I'm thinking about you only have a small portion of the whole system. It would work on your car but my suggestion is to stay away from it. TO much work and it is a carb that was designed for Calif emissions. Q-jets last attempt to stay around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts