Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a '65 Chevelle 300 Deluxe and and plan to install accessory gauges under the dash. I have the option of electrical or mechanical gauges. Can someone shed some light on the subject?

Much appreciated,

David

·
Registered
961 Posts
I personally like the look of 270deg sweep of mechanical gauges. If you like the looks of both then I would go with electrical. No hot fluids in the cab.

Later
Steve

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
Like ~wanarace~, I like the 270 degree sweep of mechanical gauges although AutoMeter now has some 270 degree electrical units. Unlike ~wanarace~ however, I prefer mechanical where applicable. Less electrical gremlins to pop up and sometimes the sending units for aftermarket electrical gauges are pretty big. An example is the oil pressure sending unit for Dakota Digital gauges. It will NOT fit above the oil filter on a big block. Luckily it can be put just above the pan rail right behind the power steering.

Apparently others have had problems with nylon and copper tubing on mechanical oil pressure gauges and I can understand the concern with 40-80 lbs of oil pressure spewing all over the carpet! I've had copper line and nylon tubing on cars with oil gauges for over 30 years and never had one go bad. Guess I've been lucky. Everyone seems to be making nothing but 0-100 lb oil gauges now and too high for most street cars IMO. A 60 lb or maybe even 80 lb would be easier to read.

Mechanical water gauges can be a pain to install since it comes with a sealed tube. You have to start the tubing from inside the car, through the gauge panel, pretty big hole in the firewall, to it's destination. Electrical just takes a simple wire. The mechanical will also show the temp even after the engine is shut off so you know when it reaches its max temp and when it begins to cool back down.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

W

·
0 Posts
I'm running a mix of Autometer carbon fiber gauges. Oil is mechanical and all the remainder are electric. I'm mounting 2 under the hood, water and oil, same mix one of each.

Even the speedo is electric.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, been in the family since new.
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am at the tail end of 67 SS coupe resto. I wanted to keep the dash as original as possible. The water temp and fuel gauge are electric - they work fine - quite reliable. Elree (God bless him) converted my ammeter to a voltmeter - same case, same face plate - it's just that the center mark is now 13V instead of amperage reading. I put a Bill Mitchell small block in the car and it's pushing 550hp, so the engine builder convinced me to stick with mechanical - better representation of what's realling going on in 'dem 'dar oil paths. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Mike H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts