Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to rebuild my power window motors, and of course I ran across a problem early on. Before I took them apart, I called a motor shop to make sure I wouldn't screw anything up when I disassembled them.
Anyway, this guy tells me not to remove the armature from the case without inserting a pipe, or something similar (and metallic) in its place. He said that the magnetic flux will dramatically decrease if there's no "keeper" (i.e. pipe) in place of the armature.
I have never heard of this, and I'm reluctant to open these up now. Can anyone shed some light on this? I can't believe I never heard of this in engineering school. Thanks much-

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-350hp

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
To be honest, I didn't know that (if it's true
) but it sounds like it is based on the same principle that involves why when you buy a miniature horse-show magnet, it comes with a metallic "keeper" to stick to the bottom when not in use. It keeps the magnetic domains aligned.

Tony, I wouldn't worry too, much, it's not like a count-down timer--up you just removed the armature 98% magnetic alignment remaining, 97%....kinda like a James Bond movie.

I think the jist of it is NOT to pull it apart like most people and leave the junk all torn apart and siting for months until you feel "ambitious".

Besides, if it is true, just do what he says and stick a ferrous (magnetic material) pipe in there.

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
are there brushes that could fall out when you pull out the armature? maybe inserting a pipe keeps them in place so you can get the armature back in without a lot of hassle.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
TC member #493

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dave, I asked him if it was in regards to the brushes (which would make sense) but he was talking about magnetic "flux loss." That's why it was to hard to believe!

Joe, that's exactly what I had in mind. He said he wouldn't touch any motor which had been opened up, and this was the reason he gave. I think he was probably fed up with undoing other people's mistakes. Thanks!!

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-350hp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts