Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to install a Holley blue electric fuel pump. Does this pump need a gravity feed (ie. pump lower then fuel line) like most electric pumps, or can it be mounted anywhere?

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
It's built no different than any other electric pump, conseptually speaking. They don't HAVE to be mounted below the tank. It's just better that way. You can put it on the roof, but it will have to work really hard to "suck" the fuel. they are built to push, muhc like a big block is built for Torque.

I used brackets hanging down from the wall of the trunk. pump is beside my rear diff cover, but the base is just barely visible from a rear-view squat.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
BEST 1/8th: 8.252 @ 84.56mph (1.855 sixty foot)
Last years previous best 1/4: 13.1sec @ 105 MPH (2.10 sixty foot) to be corrected soon.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
The concensus here on TC seems to be to mount electric pumps lower than the bottom of the tank so that when the pump gets turned on, there is always the "weight" of gravity fed fuel. This will make the pump live longer and eliminate any dry starts.

I have read that pumps can be mounted in other positions, but also heard about "calling the tow truck" because a pump burned up.....your call. Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin
TEAM CHEVELLE #726
ACES #4486

·
Registered
738 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riskyvt:
I have read that pumps can be mounted in other positions, but also heard about "calling the tow truck" because a pump burned up.....your call. Good Luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTDT and will NOT do it again.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://homepages.about.com/wescolby/1970bruteforcechevelle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.