Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, still working on my bud's t-bucket.

There is a Holley red pump installed. 2 questions:

1) does this really need a relay? It only draws 2 amps as per Holley.

2) Holley recommends their safety switch that hooks into the oil galley and starter terminal. I already have a oil seding unit hooked behind the distributor. I rather not "tee" this line unless I have to (strictly an asthetic thing -engine is exposed). Is there another port/location I can install this unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Originally posted by Vince g:
Hi guys, still working on my bud's t-bucket.

There is a Holley red pump installed. 2 questions:

1) does this really need a relay? It only draws 2 amps as per Holley.

2) Holley recommends their safety switch that hooks into the oil galley and starter terminal. I already have a oil seding unit hooked behind the distributor. I rather not "tee" this line unless I have to (strictly an asthetic thing -engine is exposed). Is there another port/location I can install this unit?

Thanks
The times I install relays is if I want to be able to switch it with a lower amperage switch or
be able to switch it off of a switch that connects a ground or if I want to limit voltage drop or if I want to wire in a safety circuit like for turning the pump off whan the engine has low or no oil pressure. If it draws 2 amps then you could get power for it off of an switched 12V ignition terminal on the key switch (also fuse it for safety at the point you are getting power for it).
If you are worried about cosmetics and having the "T" fitting on the engine, why not move it so the "T" fitting is somewhere else. There is no reason I can think of to where it has to be right on the motor. Maybe run a line off of the engine and then in a hidden area place the "T" connection and branch out from there. I have an oil block off hole on the front of my 350 engine above the timing cover and below the intake on the face of the block towards the passenger side.
Jim

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.

I should of mentioned this is a smallblock Chevy. I was wondering where the oil galley plugs were - thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts