Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should I put my new Holley "blue" pump. I want to mount it behind the gas tank, but the exhaust runs really close by. I have tailpipes (Flowmaster kit) on my car.

I was thinking if I mount the pump it that area behind the gas tank the exhaust might cause a vapor lock problem. Is this true?
Where else could I put the pump?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's true you could run into vapor lock trouble (along with other horrors) but the pump needs to be as close to (and below preferably) the tank as possible. These pumps push fuel better than they pull it. I am using a Mallory pump on my car. I like it much better than the Holley pump and it's MUCH quieter.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is your pump mounted?

OK, so closer to the pump is better. But how do I accomplish this without being too close to the exhaust? What would be considered too close?

If I mount the pump too far from the pump what happens?

Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
738 Posts
David, I don't think this will help but may give you some ideas at least...my Comp 140 is mounted on the inward side of the frame toward the rear of the car. It's about 12" back from where the frame just begins to curve upward over the rear axle. I run exhaust dumps and I think that full tail pipes would be too close for comfort with my pump located where it's at now.

Definite diddo on the suggestion of gravity feeding your new fuel pump...don't let it syphon gas out of the tank thru your stock pickup tube...these pumps are designed to push and not pull gas up and out of a tank...I made that mistake on mine
and my new pump lasted one year before the brushes went to toast and I was calling a tow truck 15 miles from the house! Fortunately, Mallory sells a brush replacement kit. I got rid of the 'heavy' stock tank and added an RCI fuel cell in the trunk - no more problems. You can also weld in a deep sump into the bottom of your stock tank - Jeg's sells them.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Brute Force Chevelle. Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made a mount out of a metal street name sign. Sanded it down, painted it black and and attached one end to the car. I made a small "T" on the other end of the sign with another smaller piece of sheet metal and mounted the pump and a chrome fram fuel filter. The pump and filter were able to sit down below the gas tank level. It looked really trick with my chrome rear cover and steel braid lines on the pump and filter. This was back in the early 80's when the steel braid and chrome was in. The set up worked great and never had any trouble with the mount. Because the sign is sheet metal it is malleable, but still thick enough to be strong and hold its shape. This was VERY easy to do. Not sure I explained it well but it was easy, cheap and worked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mines mounted to the outboard side of the frame( right behind the pass. tire) keep it lower than the tank( inlet side of pump)

·
Registered
47 Posts
What I did....I removed the tank and flushed it REAL well first. I had a local welder put a 1/2" dip pipe from the rear of the tank to the low point in the tank. Then I mounted the big Paxton pump behind the tank in front of the panel under the rear bumper. All the connections are hidden from view, and the lines run inside the frame rails. I had to run a massive pump and lines with the supercharger I had, so the stock sized lines were too small. Just thought I might give you some ideas.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.