Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I instaled the new SPAL fan with its install kit using a relay. Installed a new 140A powermaster alternator. Now I have no left front low beam, I have high beams. (Ground problem?, I grounded my fan to that small radiator ground point on the rad support, ground problem?) I hooked up the alternator to the junction block behind the battery. Should I do anything with the old alternator harness but tape it off?. When I start the car it doesn't always like to start with the fan in the on position.(I am using a wire as a switch temporarily, and connecting it to the dash ground) The starter is trying to turn the motor over just no juice? It is worse when the engine is hot, i am going to check the battery connections, (Could I have a heat soak problem?, yes I am using headers).
I also lost my rear left tail light, I am just suspecting this is a bulb.

As always, thanks guys, we all learn as we go, and it is great to have a forum like this.

Darryl

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like you have some grounding issues. Make sure that your ground straps are in good shape, clean the connections or put new ones on. Also what I've done is run a #8 wire from the front of the engine block to the radiator core support to make sure the metal is a good grounding source. I know this is obvious but check the bulb to make sure it works.

I've never had a one wire alternator, but I've heard there are some quirks with these that need to be ironed out. I was told to stay away from them but maybe someone who has been successful with the one wire can help you with that........bk

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
“Now I have no left front low beam, I have high beams. Ground problem?” The low and high beam have a common ground. Check the headlight connector make sure it’s free from corrosion add making good contact. May also be a burned out low beam.

“Should I do anything with the old alternator harness but tape it off?” You can just tape everything out of the way. Do a good job so that the wire ends don’t become grounded.

“When I start the car it doesn't always like to start with the fan in the on position.” As stated “i am going to check the battery connections” check all connections at the battery, if you have replacement cable ends make sure they are clean and making good contact with the cable and battery. Check the ground cable connection at the engine/alternator bracket. Check the dash power feed connection at the junction block and horn relay. Also don’t run the fan until after starting.

I had a similar starting problem with my ElCamino. Wouldn’t start when hot and with the A/C blower running. Usually turning off the A/C blower would be enough to get it started. Other times I would need to loosen the battery clamps twist and retighten, even though the clamps are not bad (dirty).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daryl,
Get rid of the one-wire alternator. I have a 71 Chevelle in which I installed a one-wire alternator. I had all kinds of problems with it, including dim headlights and starting problems. It very quickly just burned out completely, although that could have just been the alternator itself. Go back to the three-wire type, it sovled all my problems! Just my opinion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts