Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my windstar fan at the yard thursday morning. I was going to go mark VIII, it seems like they move more, but I think they don't look as nice.
So barring the fact that I picked the wrong fan and will end up putting in a mark 8, I am an electrical nitiwt.
But I do have a friend who is going to be helping with the install. I was using chev-hell's page with photos, but it is no longer where it was and I can't seem to contact him. So assume I want to have all the parts ready for when my friend comes over and we do the install. What do I need?

the fan unit
the painless wiring 185 off, 200 on switch thing.
10, 12, 14 ga. wire
hand tools, etc.

Now I'm lost. I'd just like to have everything ready and on hand for when he arrives. Do I need more relays, fusible links, etc? The windstar is a dual-fan unit.

Matt

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Matt, I just wired up a Mark VIII over the weekend it is really simple if you follow this diagram:

You will need this, this, 2 of these, and 2 of these

I ordered from them online using UPS and got my stuff in 2 days.

Hope this helps

------------------
WEBSITE UPDATED 03/18/02
Adam Layman
1971 Chevelle Malibu
My website

[This message has been edited by AdamLym (edited 04-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by AdamLym (edited 04-23-2002).]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot, that diagram really helped, even I got the jist of things. Although I'm sure my electrical engineer buddy will understand it for sure.
My one question is, since the windstar unit is dual-fan, will I need 2 relays, not just one?
And aside from using the newark vendor you mentioned, all of these items are pretty much radio shack off the shelf items?

Matt

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Matt - I believe the relay is harder to find off the shelf, I couldn't find anything larger than 30A at radioshack or anywhere else. I just went through newmark because it was all there and easy to do at once - no tracking down parts.

Another option (someone correct me if I'm wrong) would be to get two 30A relays, one for each of the fans - that way if one relay croaks, the other fan will still work and allow you to limp on home. This would also be a bonus because you could find the relays locally at autozone or radioshack. Just make sure you get a 4 'post' relay and not the two post circuit breaker type.

The reason I needed above a 30A relay was because the Mark VIII pulls 40A, not sure on the rating of each individual motor on the windstar setup, but I'm sure it's less per motor than the Mark VIII.

I just speak from experience, I'm sure others here will be able to tell you this stuff for sure. You may want to e-mail 'chev-hell' directly as he runs the windstar fan and also sells them. 'Gandalf80' also runs the windstar setup.

Later

------------------
WEBSITE UPDATED 03/18/02
Adam Layman
1971 Chevelle Malibu
My website

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Adam. dude you rock.

Don't run relays on parallel. your just masking a problem.

If your buddy can't figure things out WITH that picture, then tell him to go home.

Also as an FYI for your friend. That tempture switch piece "completes a circuit to ground" when it reaches 205 degrees and hold said ground untill it reaches 185 degrees.

The 3 position switch IS the way to go!

Don't worry about those shown Diodes. you wont need them.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
859 Posts
All VF7 series automotive relays from Newark and made by TYCO are rated for 70 amps continuous. As the other poster suggested, don't parellel them...it adds other issues that could cause problems. The inductive load of the motor will slightly shorten the life of the relay when compared to pure resisitive loads, but you will never live to see the difference statistically.

Use a normally open 12 vdc 70amp model (VF7-41F11). Check here http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/cd119/60873.html for your selection.

------------------
Steve Jack - ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets / Engineering & Marketing Technologies

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have the fans, and I am using 1 30 amp relay for each. One of the fans comes when the engine starts and runs all the time cooling the rad and the tranny cooler in front of the rad. The other fan runs of a thermostat.

Wiring was fairly straight forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts