Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How or where is the best place to hook up (wire) an electric fan? I've got a Hurricane fan that pushes 2750cfm with an adjustable (remote) thermostat switch.
I've never had an electric fan before so this is all virgin territory for me

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-28-1999).]

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I mounted mine in front of the radiator and kept the mechanical fan on the engine. Wire it to the battery direct, so it will cool the car while its not running. Set your stat so it kicks off at a desirable temp. You may want to add a toggle switch so you can shut it off if you want or when you're on the highway. Personaly I'd keep the mech fan on the engine and mout the electric on the front.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No room for a forward (pusher) mounted fan with the A/C condensor in the way. Besides the fan is almost 19" dia.
This sucker is huge at 2750CFM
Maybe I can snorkle my air intake off of the fan

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Cardic,
They work best if they are on the engine side of the radiator used as a puller. I have two Spals on my 65 with a temp switch in the manifold set to come on at 200. I also have a bypass switch below the dash in case the automatic switch fails (it has in the past) Without the mechanical fan, you are dead if the auto switch fails. The mechanical fan won't fit on the 65 with the electric fanss in place. My car is an factory A/C and with a new 300HP/350 crate engine is tough to keep cool around here in the summer with just the mechanical fan. mgg

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
OK: lose the engine fan and get on with it. use a relay on the power wiring to the electric fan and get some reliability. You will like the results.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's a done deal.

I decided to dive into the garbage can for the instuctions

It's a sucker installed on the engine side. The fan & adjustable fan switch is from Vintage Air.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-28-1999).]

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
good advice by all. but if you hook up a remote switch or sensor. USE a relay to operate the fan. IT draws High current ie big wire and then can use lighter wire to control that BIG fan motor. Did this on a freinds 62 409 last summer. installed it in a mini box next to the bat box with a inline blade fuse exposed/ Looked factory.
Wayne Kline
ACES TC

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wayne - I got a relay switch with the fan, cost extra of course. I installed it behind the battery everything is clean out of sight

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.