Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does an electric choke work? It seems to be a mechanical operation it’s closed when the engine is cold. Then the spring warms up when the engine is hot. And the choke opens. So why the 12Volts. Isn’t it going to open any how.?

I found this post by bigblock67. Posted almost a year a go

Electric chokes operate by heating a bi-metal spring with a resistance heated coil similar to an electric oven element. If you turn the key on but not start the engine the choke opens which makes starting difficult. Other than that, choke operation is like normal, adjustment is normal. When you install it, it must be hooked to a switched circuit but not the ignition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
An electric choke only gets heat from the 12v power source, not the engine. A regular choke get it's heat from the engine, usually off top of the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Both types operate off a thermo coil spring. When the spring is cold (engine off) it’s in the relaxed state and the rod connected from the spring to the butterfly holds it closed. Both types need heat in order to function. An electric chokes heat is derived from 12 volts (switched ignition) and non-electrics heat is derived from the spring mounted to the intake manifold. The heat excites the spring causing it expand or uncoil, this intern opens the butterfly.

It's been a while but if I recall correctly the electric choke in a cold position should have a 1/4 in gap between the butterfly and the hole which incases it. It should be adjusted so that 60 seconds after the motor has started the choke in the full open position.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great explaination thanks.

I'm having a lot of problems with this new carbuator and new engine. I'm starting fresh this morning everything was really flooded yesterday. One more attempt, then I'm going into the carb to check the float levels. My Edelbrock owners manual; shows a 3/64" gap between the choke valve and air horn.

I’m running an Edelbrock 1405 with an electric choke. The engine will start run for a very short time; then stop just like it is ran out of gas. There is about 10# of pressure on the fuel line gauge when it stops.

I also have this squeal. I could not get my engine to run long enough to se if I eliminated the squeal by re-tightening all my belts.

Adjusted the floats they were way out of tolerence 1 1/2" & 1 1/8" should be 15/16" to 1" still runs lousy, and wont idle. Maybe to much fuel pressure,10#.

Squeal is gone.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by Brob:
There is about 10# of pressure on the fuel line gauge when it stops.
That sounds like too much pressure to me. Usually, you want about 6 to 7 pounds max.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pressure is now 6#. Found some machine shaving in one of the needle seat screen filters. It was about 1/3 blocked. Engine idles now.
Squeal comes and goes, back to belt tighten.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Philman46, look at a post Electric Choke dated 11-18-2003. It goes into different power sources. Capitalize "Electric Choke" if you do a search in this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts