Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am buying a new carb and was wondering if I need to get one with an electric choke or not? The car is only a weekend warrior, and it never really gets that cold where I live. Would there be any disadvantages to not having a choke?

thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well you could get by without one but, why? Unless you are interested in every bit of power I suggest you opt for ease and good driveability. Even in California it does get cold at night and in the winter.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
16 Posts
YES

------------------
Greaseball
Brandon FL.
Team # 660
67SS 69SS

·
Registered
105 Posts
You dont need a choke. Pump the gas before you start it, feather it for a few seconds as it starts. let is sit and run fo a few mnutes befre you drive. No Choke

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pumping the gas puts raw gas in to the cyl and washes the oil off the walls.With a choke you get a rich mixture instead of raw fuel.Run a choke and set it on the light side,it also give you a fast idle for warm up...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pumping the gas puts raw fuel into the cly and washes the oil off the walls.A choke gives you a rich mixture not raw fuel.Also gives a fast idle for warmup...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would recomend just taking the choke off, I just did it to my 71'. I made my edelbrock 600 cfm. Into a 645. All I have to do is just hold the gas a little bit at start up and then give it a little gas to keep it going. And I have no problems at all after that. You may have to play with your idle screw a little bit. And that's all I have to do.

------------------
71 malibu350

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I have never bothered with a choke on a weekend warrior. As I see it you will only need it when you initially start the car for an outing, and it only takes a few moments for it to run well so I don't really think it is necessary. It just boils down to what you want, something that runs well as soon as you turn the key or something that will take a few moments to do so.

Steve R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help.

I did notice that if you buy a non choke carb (edelbrock) that the jets are bigger than if you buy one with a choke. For instance on a edel-600 cfm no choke, the carb has Metering Jets: primary .100, secondary .095; Metering rods: .070x.047 ; spring orange 5hg.
On the 600 cfm with electric choke, it has Metering Jets: primary .098, secondary .095; Metering Rods: .075x.047; spring yellow 4hg.
Why would they do that? Does this make a difference in which carb to buy?
Thanks again for your help
Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
buythe one with no choke. I'm telling you dude, out here in CA, a choke is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in CT and have gotton through the whole winter without a choke. Just pump the gas twice before you crank it and give a couple of minutes to warm up you will be all set

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ya know, it's amazing how much money The General could have saved if chokes weren't necessary. Dang, someone in Engineering should have though of that!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alright Jerry, I'll rephrase....they arent TOTALLY unnecessary, but I would call them one of those convinient features that isnt a necessity. Like A/C. By the way, thanks for your help with my PCV question.

Eric

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
You guys make me laugh. Sure for a daily OK, but for a perf vehicle

" YOU DONT NEED NO STINKIN' CHOKE" . I dont bother. The only key is NOT to pump the thing and goose it while its running. Fire it, run it up to 1500/2000 rpm and let it stay there W/O pumping it. But I run Holley 850s and tripowers. Guess if I was putting an EDEL 600 on something for my wife, I run one.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES 3110
67 SS 427
"Be big. Be a builder."

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
on my 454 daily driver (not stock) i use a holley 950hp carb they dont' come with a choke/vac. lines, NADA, they are clean, and in texas it does get cold in winter, 2 pumps, fires on first revolution, then just feather for a couple seconds. no wires/no cables nada, clean as a wissle under my hood,
a
and from what i've heard most holley's run rich anway and there's really no need for a choke. my car came with a 750holley originaly with the choke cut off, from Minnesota, no problem

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Oh yeah, I should add two more "points of info",; 1.) I live in Buffalo where its really tropical, but have fired the old girl at less than 30 degrees. No prob and 2.)more importantly, I am also a freak that doesn't take my gearbox out of neutral until I see the temp guage begin to move.

Its a litle bit of a hassle, but no big shakes.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm with 427L88. I have a 750 double pumper in my 85 El Camino and live in Ohio. It's my daily driver and I have no problems starting it when its below 30 out. Just gotta keep it around 1500-2000rpm for awhile till it'll idle. Then I just wait till the temp. moves and I'm gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.