Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me understand trailer brakes? the brakes on my trailer do not work at all. when I check the magnet while hooked to the truck both with the pedal brake and the brake control I get nothing it wont even hold a screw driver but when I put it to a battery its strong. what voltage should I be gettting from the truck brake control I am only getting 4.5v. any input would really help. thanks

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
You may need to check the voltage limiting adjustment. All brake controllers have an adjustment to limit voltage to the brakes. What type of controller do you have? Most of the mechanical types do it with the knob, and the electrical ones have slide or thumbwheel adjustments. Mine has a delay which is also adjustable.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running an elec brake control with the slide type acuator I think the problem is in the magnets but nobody knows how to test them other than put 12v to them and see if they grab

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
Since you can apply full voltage to the magnet from a battery and it holds strong it is good. First thing is to determine why you only are reading 4.5 volts at the wheel. Agian there is an adjustment on the controller to limit voltage to the bakes. When my trailer is empty I turn it way down to keep from locking up the trailer brakes. Have you found this adustment? If it is all the way up then procede.
Check the voltage feeding into the brake controller from the 30 amp inline breaker. If it is full battery volts then check the voltage at the plug on the tow vehicle, if it is 12v there keep working back towards the wheels until you find the problem. If it not 12v there work forward towards the controller. Check for proper grounding of the trailer wiring and that they are clean. A lot of people use the trailer ball for the ground link to the trailer, I always run a ground wire from the frame of the tow vehicle thru the plug to the frame of the trailer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a broken ground wire thanks for the help now I feel better about loading the chevelle on the trailer and going 1600 miles. thanks again..

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
The most important wire in the circuit.
Have a safe trip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts